Tomato seedling advice please!

• 30 Replies

mashauk

« on: February 13, 2008, 16:13 »
I've germinated a few tomato plants, took them out of the propagator, and I'm wondering (a) how often to water them and (b) when I can put them in the unheated polytunnel, they're in 3" paper pots at the moment.  At the moment they're in the kitchen but not getting much sun as I have no windowledge space for them.

Fanku

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 16:18 »
Mine haven't even germinated yet :?  :? How big are they and when did you plant them??

gobs

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 16:26 »
Funky names you come up with these days. :lol:

You water them when the compost is dry, want to keep them just moist, don't know about the paper pots.

You will have them leggy without enough light, but you better be careful with putting them out too early. Best to have a nose around your place as it would probably be milder in your area, than here, I guess.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 16:26 »
They're about 1.5 inches big and I took them out of the propagator on Sunday (only did about 4 as I know it's probably too early!)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 16:32 »
Mine are about the same size Masha.  I did eight because I just couldn't help myself.  The urge to grow something was overwhelming.  They won't be going outside for a couple of months though.  Luckily I have a good size south facing window sill.
Cheese makes everything better.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 16:36 »
Mine are a plum variety, I planted them on 26th Jan in a very warm greenhouse. No germination :(  :( Am I impatient ??

mashauk

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 16:41 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Funky names you come up with these days. :lol:

??

You water them when the compost is dry, want to keep them just moist, don't know about the paper pots.

You will have them leggy without enough light, but you better be careful with putting them out too early. Best to have a nose around your place as it would probably be milder in your area, than here, I guess.

Thanks, I may put them under an old fish tank in the polytunnel then, that'll be a bit warmer than without!

gobs

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 16:48 »
Masha, I did not say to put them out :!:  :!:

Have a look later on how many good gardeners on your site  have what out in their unheated poly :?:

They need to be bigger and stronger.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 16:49 »

Have a look later on how many good gardeners on your site  have what out in their unheated poly :?:

Frozen tomatos :lol:

gobs

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 16:54 »
Quote from: "Ruth Cross"

Frozen tomatos :lol:

yeah, :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mashauk

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 17:00 »

They need to be bigger and stronger.

Oops, OK - I'll keep them in then, no-one else has a poly that I know apart from me!  I'm gonna run out of space in the kitchen soon, think I'll have to lay off germinating everything for a few weeks now.

GreenOwl

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 17:00 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Thanks, I may put them under an old fish tank in the polytunnel then, that'll be a bit warmer than without!

If you've got nowhere indoors I'd go for that rather than straight in the polytunnel.  

I think we're all chomping at the bit.  I have some extremely leggy sweet peas due to impatience.  I shall resow this weekend and sow the sweet peppers in a propagator but I'm going to hold off on the toms until next month (although I'm growing outside so have to start later anyway).

I didn't think it was too early for greenhouse/polytunnel toms but I've never grown them so I don't know at what point you put them in said greenhouse/polytunnel.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 17:10 »
this year i am being very good and only sowing thigs when the packet tells me to (not like last year when i worked abroad all march april so everything was either eraly or late!) I'm surprised by the amount ive sown already - the small bedroom is looking like a greenhouse. Although these are mainly my dahlias/geraniums/marigolds from seed. Although ive just done toms (plum+cherry), mini sweet peppers, tomatillos and asparagus peas too.

mashauk

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 17:13 »
I'm going by the packets too, I think I'm just jumping the gun a bit because I've got the little propagator and the poly.  I suppose really I should have a heated greenhouse to put stuff in after the propagator, hey ho :lol:

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 17:25 »
i have just put our tomato seeds in a tray in our greenhouse which is unheated and has bits of glass missing so i'm sure ur polytunnel will be warm enough ... i tell you what... i'l pop over and sit in it for half hour and report back! :D
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

xx
What to do with this tomato seedling?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 22:23
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Tomato Seedling Disease?

Started by smudger28 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 14:50
by smudger28
clip
Tomato seedling woes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2024, 20:46
by Anton
xx
The perfick tomato seedling.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 15:23
by Totty

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 31 queries.