applying manure

• 9 Replies

tryx

applying manure
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:51 »
should horse manure be put on top of soil and dug in later or  dig in straight away then cover section with black plastic till ready to use?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: applying manure
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53 »
Provided it's not fresh, you can do either, but why cover in plastic - especially at this time of year when the weeds are not actively growing?

You're providing a layer of protection from any frost that will get into the soil, help break it up and kill a few slugs on its way.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:08 »
On my heavy soil, I found digging it in was more beneficial come spring.  I discovered the first time I put the manure on the top, the supposed "let the worms do all the work" was just a myth and it did nothing to the soil at all (I had hoped it would make it easier to dig over - not)

but why cover in plastic - especially at this time of year when the weeds are not actively growing?

You're providing a layer of protection from any frost that will get into the soil, help break it up and kill a few slugs on its way.

It does provide a haven for slugs and snails doesn't it - but it can actually be a good way to catch the blighters too when they are all stuck underneath so you can pick them off and dispose of as you like.  But I'd agree that leaving the bed open to weathering also helps to break down the manure into something more useful by spring.

Save your black plastic for early spring when the sun's strength increases - black absorbs the heat and helps to warm the soil up better than if it is open especially on heavy soil.  First it encourages weed seedlings to germinate which you can either lift the plastic up and hoe off or leave the plastic down and sheer lack of light will eventually kill them off (depends on when you intend sowing/planting)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:14 »

I would also like to say that you should not spread manure or compost onto soil witch is frosted or frozen as it will lock the cold in and stop it warming up.  Repeated freeze/thaw is what is needed to break up the soil and kill the slugs.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:18 »
Also your slug problem is not just those you see when you lift the plastic.

One of the main offenders are those you can't see and live underground - the black keeled slugs - that make all those holes in your produce.

Black plastic will keep the sub-soil nice and warm for them and they won't offer themselves up by coming to the surface.

Yana

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 18:48 »
Now I'm confused (easily done most would say).
I thought that if you leave the earth exposed to the elements that the rain will leach the goodness out of the manure? I've loaded my soil with manure, givenit a gentle forking over and covered it.
Is the consensus that I should remove the cover??
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 19:31 »
I wouldn't cover it.

Don't confuse soil conditioner (compost and manure) with plant food.

tryx

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:06 »

I thought that if you leave the earth exposed to the elements that the rain will leach the goodness out of the manure? 
  this was by belief,shall remove plastic till later but next autumn sow green manure over them.

Don't confuse soil conditioner (compost and manure) with plant food.
thank you for pointing this out as i thought manure was as good as plant food

Totty

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43 »
No doubt, don't cover. If you have spread alot of manure over the ground i would dig it in totally and leave it a little on the rough side. Let the winter frost and rain help to break the soil down, then come spring give a feed of BFB or growmore at the recommended rate before breaking up the clumps you left (this will be easy now) and raking to a fine tilth.

You will have then conditioned your soil and added some nutrients with the addition of manure, and given it a good balanced feed with the BFB, and be left with a fine and highly workable tilth.

Totty

Yana

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 21:20 »
Ok ta. And thanks for the explanation about soil conditioner and plant food.  :D

xx
Applying for an allotment

Started by unclejonnyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:13
by Heifer73
xx
Applying Lime

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 19:52
by JimB
xx
Applying blood fish and bone

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 20:46
by mumofstig
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 34 queries.