What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 17:50 »
Too wet to do much.  A bit of mud-larking does a girl no harm, but there are limits even for me.

I did get some bags of green waste from the garden into the compost bins, then I cut down all the old canes and tied in the new ones on the hybrid berries, as I can get to these from the edges.  Carted the prunings and surplus branches I had cut off to the communal dump, then wandered around drinking coffee and hatching plans.

It was getting dark when I got home and OH was about to launch a search party  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 16:33 »
I trundled off to the plot with my wheelbarrow picked high of the pruned Christmas tree & added it to my bonfire pike. Then I dug up & washed some parsnips to bring home & pulled up a couple of rotted cabbages & the 2 sprout stems that had blown, cleaned them up & brought home what was salvageable for daughters chickens. Later on in the garden I snipped another pile of prunings to fit the wheelbarrow & put it in the greenhouse to dry a bit, never know it might dry enough to shred it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

stompy

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 07:06 »
Yesterday-

Had a good look over my new plot after receiving my shed key form the previouse owner.
Looks like i have inherited 2 thornless bramble bushes, lots and lots of raspberrys (really need thinning)
2 greenhouses, a cracking quite large shed and a multitude of trays, pea frames, a rake and other bits and bobs.
Hit the jackpot!  :D

Only problem now is the kids (3 girls) want a patch of their own! ::) :D

Andy

Robster

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 11:17 »
Well I've started now. I'd been chitting some Arran Pilot. They are now in bags with compost and covered with bubble wrap in the green house. The first tomatoes are up and potted on but still in the incubator. They'll be my first croppers grown against an outside south facing wall.  Jalapeños are up. Sowed peas and broad beans in root trainers. The deer ate all my autumn sown beans, which was annoying. Sowed summer cabbage and some lettuce.

Paul Plots

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 14:42 »
Well I've started now. I'd been chitting some Arran Pilot. They are now in bags with compost and covered with bubble wrap in the green house. The first tomatoes are up and potted on but still in the incubator. They'll be my first croppers grown against an outside south facing wall.  Jalapeños are up. Sowed peas and broad beans in root trainers. The deer ate all my autumn sown beans, which was annoying. Sowed summer cabbage and some lettuce.

You are doing well. Too cold here.... although the shallots are in cells in the unheated greenhouse.
Seeds sown = none...yet.

Looked at the plot again after lifting some leeks yesterday.... escaped back indoors again.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 21:40 »
Decided not to go..too blooming cold :D

Flowertot

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 17:36 »
Husband and I pruned and tidied up the huge old Bramley apple tree in our garden today.  Too cold to do much else.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2017, 18:18 »
Popped down between the hail sleet and snow we've had today to take a closer look at the tree stump in the bottom corner... still scratching my head! Set away some leek seeds in the house as too wet to do anything else at the moment..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28 »
Last cold night here tonight for a while, so tomorrow the onions from seed are heading to the blow away inside the greenhouse and a shunt round will commence inside.  Leeks are showing and will move to a cool windowsill, as will some herbs and perennials I have on the go. 

I've sown peppers and chillies today (just a couple each of Supergreen, Amanda, Lipstick, Pot Black, Hungarian Peach and Trinidad Perfume), plus some more aubergines.  I had 1 germinate from the first lot  ::)  He's in a pot now and we'll have another go.  I hope this isn't a harbinger of my aubergine growing this summer, but I fear the worst  :ohmy:  ::)  :lol:

stompy

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 13:19 »
I pruned my neighbours fruit trees x 2 as they were overhanging my plot by a couple of foot.
Apparently he never visited the plot last year and it's in a right state.
Moved the compost daleks so i can move the muck heap to a new position.
Also purchased my potatoes from the allotment shop, 1kg of Jazzy, 2kg of Charlotte, and 3kg of Diseree.
They are now in the greenhouse chitting  :blush: under a tripple layer of fleece.

I also swept out the shed and had a look to see what goodies the previouse owner has left me.

Andy

Paul Plots

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 13:51 »
Some people really have been busy!

I looked at the purple sprouting (again) but it still isn't (sprouting).
Put the hoe through a patch in the sunshine (while waiting for the cat to wander away so I could go home without it following)

New Shoot - I am jealous! Having nowhere to germinate leek seed this year mine are still in the packet.  :(
I am hoping I can sow outside and they might be ready by July for transplanting if not there'll be no leeks for 2017/18

AndyRVTR

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 20:08 »
A lot drier today and managed to get a couple of hours digging in... looks like there's been a few sod fires as lots of potash coming to the surface!
20170213_140544.jpg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 13:26 »
Collected 3 trugs full of manure from our local stables. Piled it up down at the plot.
Tidied up the raised beds used for brassicas removing the blue pipes used for debris netting.
The rain was still holding off so I pruned the raspberries in the fruit cage and added them to the pile of debris scheduled for burning.
Ground pretty wet so no digging but interested to see that the couch grass is waking up on my asparagus bed. (Does it ever rest??)

Cheers HH
Keep digging

AndyRVTR

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 15:51 »
Lovely day today so went to Plot26 and did some more digging as well as some general tidying up..
20170214_133459.jpg

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 19:59 »
Managed to get a couple of hours at the plot so I prepared the bed for parsnips and carrots whilst I tended the incinerator, getting rid of tree branches the council left on my plot when they cut down a dead tree. Sowed some onion sets and put in a small row of carrot seeds in the polytunnel. Broad bean seeds to go in on my next visit!!!!!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 50 queries.