chick with limp legs

• 10 Replies

rusbli

chick with limp legs
« on: April 17, 2013, 21:11 »
Hi all,

We have just hatched chicks and one of them has limp legs he is still in the incy and was hatched 2 hours ago. He was the last one to hatch and seems very weak. I don't know what is wrong with his legs he does not seem to be able to support his body weight.

Can someone give me suggestions on what to do, shall I get rid of him?

Many thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: chick with limp legs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 21:58 »
It can be corrected but best to leave it until it has dried and it is safe to open the incubator.  It should be fine to leave until tomorrow as they have enough reserves from the yolk sack for over 24 hours.  Make sure your chicks have a non slippy surface to walk on as this can cause it.

It is called spraddle or splayed leg and can be rectified with a plaster.  The legs need to be brought back into line enough for the chick to support its own weight.  You can leave the plaster on for around a week and check that it has worked after a few days.  Re apply another plaster if it needs it on longer.

If you google splayed leg you will find plenty of information and photos of chicks with plasters applied.  I have used this method and it worked really well.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rusbli

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 22:08 »
Ok thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51 »
Weve just had a chick with a dodgy leg, I thought it might be spraddle leg but it seems more of a deformation. The leg is actually longer and the claws on the right leg are always clenched (like a clenched fist). Ive tried the plaster thing for almost 2 weeks and had no luck in repairing the leg but the chick is finding the energy to make its way to the feeder and drinker. Of that hatch we had 4 chicks, 3 are boys and this one with the dodgy leg is a hen.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 18:09 »
Weve just had a chick with a dodgy leg, I thought it might be spraddle leg but it seems more of a deformation. The leg is actually longer and the claws on the right leg are always clenched (like a clenched fist). Ive tried the plaster thing for almost 2 weeks and had no luck in repairing the leg but the chick is finding the energy to make its way to the feeder and drinker. Of that hatch we had 4 chicks, 3 are boys and this one with the dodgy leg is a hen.

If you have a search online you will find info on making a shoe for the chick to try and repair the clench problem.  They make the sole bit out of stiff cardboard I think and plasters over the top to keep the toes straight.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 18:21 »
There are some pictures on HERE showing some remedies.   ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45 »
I had a chick like that (I got a post in here somewhere, with photos)

I used a straw and a small elastic band, it worked really well, she is now the fastest hen I got and its a * catching her, but when I do she settles down, and likes a stroke from the grand daughter

I thought it was better than using a plaster, and giving her a leg wax when it was removed

I put a tea towel in the bottom of the brooder, (the wife wasnt happy, but its all washable)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37 »
Sorry I forgot to mention I did use a chick shoe for around a week but no luck sorting out the clenching. Again I tried a plaster splint on around 4 days ago and she just lay there refusing to get up so I took it off. As her right claw is out to the side when she hobbles along her claw catches on the teatowel and anti slip mat in the brooder so all the corners get pulled up and then she gets stuck in the corner having no grip underneath her.

The last couple of days she has been outside and having the extra grip under her feet means shes doing better than she was but only time will tell. She is around 4 weeks old now and im pretty certain its a hen. 

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42 »
You can try putting another chick shoe on and just keep checking every week if it is doing any good.  I would think it would take a while for the tendons to stretch enough if that is the problem.  Better to treat it while she is young, once she matures she will be heavier and might have difficulty walking.

I had to use a hobble on a chick before and it just sat down so I made the hobble a little wider and it did the trick.  You need to be an octopus sometimes, just not enough hands!!   ::) :lol:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24 »
Thanks ANHBUC, i'll try a chick shoe again. She was outside again and it appears the dry dirt is causing her claw to bleed so the shoe would help

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:14 »
Make sure the cut is clean and apply wound powder (or cornflour if you don't have wp) or purple spray.  You don't want an infection setting in.   :)

xx
chick with splayed legs

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 18:45
by Foxy
xx
10 week old chick off her legs

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 20:11
by Casey76
xx
chick with weird legs

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 23:43
by Craigx
xx
HELP !!! 4 week old chick has lost use of its legs !!!!

Started by 10tuppence on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 22:16
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.