Sweetcorn cross pollination

• 2 Replies

gunnag

Sweetcorn cross pollination
« on: June 11, 2015, 16:49 »
A friend of mine purchased 30 sweetcorn plug plants from a local garden centre and has offered them to me to grow on my allotment. These sweetcorn have no variety marking and the label simply says "Extra Early Extra Sweet".

My issue is that I'm already growing about 60 Lark F1 Sweetcorn and wondered if there would be a cross pollination problem?

Apparently Lark is a mid season sweetcorn so if the new sweetcorn are extra early presumably they germinate at different times?

Does anyone know whether I can plant these new plug plants on my allotment without causing a cross pollination problem? The maximum distance I could distance the new plants from the old is only about 20ft.

All info welcome.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn cross pollination
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 17:48 »
Early Extra Sweet is a variety, that may be what you have
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p2404/SWEETCORN-Early-Extra-Sweet-F1/product_info.html

The link suggests 8metres apart. I'd plant them as far apart as possible, but keep an eye on when the tassels at the top start opening. If you're lucky the pollen will be released at different times - so you'll miss crosspollination.

gunnag

Re: Sweetcorn cross pollination
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 20:08 »
Thanks for the info, I think youre right and I may well have been given Early Extra Sweet F1 as mentioned.y

I will try and plant the corn as far from the existing plants as possible. Hopefully the distance apart and differences in pollination times will avoid any issues.

Being in an allotment theres always going to be an issue with cross polination from neighbouring plots so I guess I will have to see what happens.

xx
sweetcorn cross pollination

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 18:55
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Cross pollination

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 12:49
by Stevens706
xx
Cross Pollination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 10:16
by pdblake
xx
Tomatoes cross pollination

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2022, 18:49
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 40 queries.