Kale

• 6 Replies

Robster

Kale
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:34 »
What is the general feeling about pigeons and kale.  All my other brassicas are netted.  I see pigeons up the lofty but not too many.  I plan to put out about 100 plants soon to crop in the autumn and over winter.  Is it a really big risk?

AnneB

Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:41 »
We have pigeons and crows on our allotment.  I didn't net one year.  They were fine until it got really cold and frosty and there was little in the way of alternative food sources for them, then they completely stripped the plants.   So I would net.

100 plants sounds like an awful lot of kale.   I grow the Tuscan kale called Cavolo Nero.  There are only 3 of us at home, but last year 4 plants more than met our needs.  It carries on producing on a cut and come again basis.

Robster

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07 »
Thanks Anne,  Yes its a whole pile of Kale two varieties. The black one you grew and a curly green job.  There's the two of us.  Three daughter families three guinea pigs and four chickens.

based on your experience I think I'll leave them open until Oct/Nov something like that.  Thanks.  Have a great day.

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:26 »
Im growing cavalo nero for the first time and im wondering if I sowed a bit early as my plants are already a foot high and that's after the pigeons had a go at them a couple of months back. Should I be taking some leaves yet? Also as usual there is conflicting internet advice on spacings. From 1ft to 3ft. Which is best?

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:09 »
I plant my Cavolo Nero about a foot apart and they are fine like that.  I think some other varieties of kale are a bit bulkier though.    If you have leaves already Steve I would start picking.  I think you did plant a bit early,  I am about to plant mine out.   I wouldn't worry though, I have had kales go on for quite a time.  Just make sure you don't take all the leaves from one plant in one go.  I pick a few from each plant when I want some for dinner.   I would give them a seaweed feed boost now and again.

Steveharford

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:17 »
Thank you Anne. I will take a feed off to go with today's lunch/ dinner. I originally planted about 18" apart. When the pigeons stripped them I interplanted with spare seedlings. The original ones soon recovered and the seedling ones have caught up so I might take out the weakest looking ones and eat those.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:21 »
I planted mind out a couple of weeks ago unnetted (all other brassicas are netted) and they were attacked within a few days.  >:(

I find that under debris netting I get huge infestations of cabbage white fly and I was hoping that out in the open that would be less of a problem.

xx
what is on my kale?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 14:16
by andreadon
xx
Can I fix kale?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:18
by Raven81
xx
kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2019, 16:57
by rowlandwells
xx
Kale

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 13:08
by RichardA

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 39 queries.