"Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?

• 17 Replies

Endymion

• Experienced Member
"Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?
« on: May 26, 2011, 22:30 »
Some squash/cucumber/pumpkin are described as "semi-bush" or "semi-vine" by seed merchants, it's as if they expect people like me to know what it means, but I don't.  :nowink:

Can anybody help me out please?

I'd like to know how much space we should have left clear for them, and if it's possible or practical to try to persuade these to grow up trellis, mainly because we're running out of horizontal space.

We should be pleased that all the seeds we planted have germinated, even though some of them took their time, but we've ended up with two of each of seven varieties, and haven't the heart to consign any of them to the compost heap after all their effort.

Thanks.

Trillium

Re: "Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 23:29 »
It's hard to say exactly how much space each of those types will take as it depends on variety, your soil and growing conditions, and weather.

One thing for certain: keep all varieties well apart as they will easily cross pollinate and you could get some unusual veg.

And yes, most will climb structures, just be sure the structures can take some weight, especially squash and pumpkins.

Semi-bush is sort of compact, but larger than 'patio' sized bush plants that can grow in pots. Semi vining will trail a bit, but not as much as full vining types. Not specific info, I know, but reread sentence 1.

In order to get a pumpkin fruit, the female flowers have to be pollinated. Both male and female flowers grow on the same vine, but male blooms appear first. Until both are present and the females are pollinated, there will be no fruit. So don't toss out spare pumpkin seedlings just yet - you might need some hanky panky happening.

One way to control things is to let each vine have up to 3 'fruit', then snap off the vine end so it won't set more, tiny fruit, and will now concentrate on filling the existing 3.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 23:49 »
Enough said.

Trillium scores full-marks with a top answer.  ;)

If you can allow plenty of space between your squash and other crops as they can take over the place if you let them.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:48 »

One thing for certain: keep all varieties well apart as they will easily cross pollinate and you could get some unusual veg.

But only applicable if you want to seed-save.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 00:00 »
Brilliant.

Thanks for your help.

But only applicable if you want to seed-save.

We're more likely to roast and eat the seeds, so I hope it won't matter too much.

most will climb structures, just be sure the structures can take some weight, especially squash and pumpkins

I was thinking of using some expanding trellis, tied to thick canes. Is that likely to be strong enough?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45 »
strong enough for the plant but not sure it would be strong enough to support a few of the bigger pumpkin fruits, as each one of them is quite heavy.  :unsure:

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54 »
Thanks Trillium.

The biggest one we're growing is Butternut, which we hoped it might be okay on a trellis.   :unsure: It won't be a free-standing trellis, the supporting canes will be propped against the fence so it will be at an angle something like 70degrees, or we could make it a bit less.

We've never grown them before, so it's a bit of trial and error.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 22:41 »
Thanks Trillium.

The biggest one we're growing is Butternut, which we hoped it might be okay on a trellis.   :unsure: It won't be a free-standing trellis, the supporting canes will be propped against the fence so it will be at an angle something like 70degrees, or we could make it a bit less.

We've never grown them before, so it's a bit of trial and error.

I've grown butternut up a bean-frame before now... found the fruit once the runner beans had started to die back  ;)

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 23:02 »
Thanks Trillium.
??? Err, oops. Sorry mumofstig.

I've grown butternut up a bean-frame before now... found the fruit once the runner beans had started to die back  ;)
Did you have to persuade it to climb, or did it manage it all on its' own?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 00:19 »
Endymoin
I pointed it (tied in one main shoot) in the right direction then lost sight of it until autumn.  ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 00:50 »
That sounds a fantastic use of space but don't you have probs with both runners and squash being greedy feeders?
I filled the bean trench with kitchen waste, manure, put in fbb and I've just bagged up a load of my rotted compost which is really rich (chicken poo!) which I could use.
Half the beans are in already but the others (and the Hunter and Harrier squash) will be ready to plant out very soon.
Should I give it a go or use the area I've already prepared where I was going to let them trail?
Decisions decisions........

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22 »
You could simply use a watercan with a manure slurry to 'water' the squash plants rather than everything. I usually plant cukes with my runners on my munty frame and the cukes get the extra food and water as they're off to one side, the beans to the other. The cukes are very happy there as they're on the east side of the frame in a bit of shade which they prefer.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43 »
That sounds a fantastic use of space but don't you have probs with both runners and squash being greedy feeders?
I filled the bean trench with kitchen waste, manure, put in fbb and I've just bagged up a load of my rotted compost which is really rich (chicken poo!) which I could use.
Half the beans are in already but the others (and the Hunter and Harrier squash) will be ready to plant out very soon.
Should I give it a go or use the area I've already prepared where I was going to let them trail?
Decisions decisions........

My plot regularly gets just compost (loads of it) and handfuls of chicken manure pellets. (Moving bulky manure is difficult with just a bicycle and trailer.  :lol:)

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 23:15 »
Endymion
I pointed it (tied in one main shoot) in the right direction then lost sight of it until autumn.  ;)

Brilliant! I hadn't realised it could be so easy. It means we'll save quite a bit of space too, because they can grow up the end of the beans and then go wherever they want!

Thanks.

All I've got to do now is to decide whether to try a mini-Munty or not!

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 23:17 »
Endymion

Brilliant! I hadn't realised it could be so easy. It means we'll save quite a bit of space too, because they can grow up the end of the beans and then go wherever they want!

Thanks.

All I've got to do now is to decide whether to try a mini-Munty or not!

Don't forget that not all butternut squash are trailers.... there's also the more compact type.  ;)

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 30 queries.