New fruit and veg bed

• 2 Replies

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
New fruit and veg bed
« on: May 02, 2009, 22:17 »
I have decided to add a new bed to my garden. I Finished work on revamping my herb garden today and always like to keep busy.

This bed is going to be a bit different to a normal raised bed, the plan is to use the same 8x1 inch boards that I used for my main beds (I have it so may as well use it) but this time it will be the full 16ft long and only 2 and a half foot wide, two planks high so 16 inches, and then divided it into 5 actual beds of 2.5ft x 3 and a bit ft.

The plan will be to have two outer ones for Strawberry's the centre one for a pumpkin I was given and the other two for any other thing that comes along or veg over spill. I have plenty spare Courgettes on the go so could use these to fill it up.

I will double dig the ground and add two barrow loads of seaweed and another two of horse manure to each of the five plots and then put the soil back with added soil and some compost mixed in.

Bob

paintedlady

Re: New fruit and veg bed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:15 »
Hi Bob - couldn't help notice there might be a problem.  Pumpkin (& other trailing squash/marrow/courgette) plants grow anything from 5-15 + feet long, so the 2.5x3 foot bed won't contain it unless you don't mind it growing outside of the area?  Bush type courgette/marrow can have a 2 foot span too, so you won't be able to grow many of those in one of those beds either.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Re: New fruit and veg bed
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:29 »
No problem, they can wander where they like, there will be a four foot path to the nearest veg bed or they can invade the compost heap if they want  ;)

Hopefully this new bed finishes off the available space whilst not interfering with anything else, but that is the reason for the width, there was at some time a path with a stone foundation running on one side so making putting it next to the other beds difficult, and I can't go too close to the hedge on the other.

Bob

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 36 queries.