Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

• 5 Replies

Devondumpling

Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:52 »
This is my first real post in the forum after a very warm welcome. I have done a fair amount of reading about plot clearing and just need a little help making the final decision on how we should go about clearing our plot. My wife and I are not exactly time rich as she works 32 hours a week, we own and manage a busy buisness and we have x2 young children so we need to go with an effective fast method of clearing our plot. Our plan is to concentrate our efforts over the winter on building an insulated pallet based shed, a descent green house, making pathways good and a large rainwater harvesting system with a view to begining our planting in febuary next year.
Anyway we are torn between 2 methods of clearing the site....
Number 1 being the organic route.....
Using our Stihl strimmer to cut everything right down to the ground then covering with cardboard followed by black DPM and weighing it down. We would then peel the DPM back gradually and dig the ground over and plant the plot out.
Number 2 woul be to spray the site with glyphosphate a few times (I have a lot left over from dealing with a bramble infestation) then rent a rotivator for a weekend and rotivate the site.

Ideally I would prefer to keep things organic but the most important thing is to get results quickly at this stage my biggest concern is that I know glyphosphate is a carcenogen and dont know if it will have an effect on anything grown on the site in the future??

Any suggestions or information anybody can offer at this stage would be greatly appreciated.

BTW i really wish I had the time to get stuck in with a fork and spade to clear the site but I just dont sadly.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10 »
... but the most important thing is to get results quickly at this stage my biggest concern is that I know glyphosphate is a carcenogen ...

It's not thought to be a carcinogen now (unless you live in California) but there is no hard and fast evidence or opinion either way.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:31 »
I imagine that cardboard and black PPM are considered to be potentially carcinogenic by some Californians!

I'd definitely go down the glyphosate route

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 13:15 »
All that strimmed green waste would rot down nicely under the weed suppressant over Winter, don't waste it. Systematic uncovering and digging over sounds good to me, whichever method you use to dig, mechanical or by hand. Uncovered ground soon repopulates with weeds, weedkiller or no.
I wouldn't let glyphosate within a million miles of my plot if I had the power that it's manufacturers do. There is possibly only one reason I would consider using something like glyphosate, and that is to deal with a stone wall being made dangerous by deeply rooted ivy, valerian or buddleia type plants.
One other thing, consider asking your nearby neighbours if they have any objections as there are immediate vicinity considerations.

Pescador

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 17:21 »
I would use glyphosate, but you need to get it on fairly soon while the weeds are still active, and with this current wind, it's not going to be possible for a while.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 19:54 »
I use glyphosate on a very rare occaision & did use it on my plot because of how bad it was but since you have time on your side, it being autumn soon, I would go with your first option as that way the weeds will be held at bay until you are able to deal with it. The only change I would make would be to suggest you put on plenty of manure on top of your cardboard, the worms will work it in for you under the membrane.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Advice - clearing our plot - getting re-started!

Started by Ourveggiepatch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 20:49
by Ice
xx
Clearing brambles - advice please!

Started by Ferris on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 08:46
by horsepooisgood
clip
Advice on clearing veg patch

Started by SarahC375 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 16:00
by jambop
xx
clearing weeds advice?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 13:24
by snow white

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 44 queries.