MONROTILLER Circa; 1957 Flywheel removal

• 12 Replies

DECAL MAN

« on: October 14, 2008, 11:24 »
Whilst I shall work on my Merry Tiller tonight, another, this time long term project/restoration, is a 1957 Monro Tiller.
Great piece of substancial engineering, with a Villiers engine on it.

I am struggling to work out how to get the flywheel of this engine, any ideas anyone.
Thank You , DECAL MAN

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Villiers flywheels
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 20:55 »
The Villiers flywheel had a large nut in the centre, sometimes hidden under the rope starter pulley. A special “hammer tight” spanner was available to slacken or tighten it but modern hexagonal impact sockets and a strong Tommy bar are just as good. It is 10 years or so since I did this job and I can’t remember if the thread is left or right. As you slacken the nut it pulls the flywheel off it’s taper. The flywheel does not have a key so a mark on the flywheel must be aligned with one on the backplate  and the piston at TDC when re-assembling. Some late Villiers engines had a Wico magneto and flywheel  which is removed in a similar way, but is not self extracting and I think it has a keyway to keep the timing right.

On the Merry Tiller engine the numbers are on the fan cowl behind the air filter but if your cowl has not been white it is a replacement and may not be stamped.
R Tallentire

DECAL MAN

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 22:37 »
Well again, THANK YOU for your comments. You are correct regarding the nut there, I've tried anti clockwise rotating and I think that it does go that way but tightened up in a 'soft' type of way if that makes sense, so maybe with careful hammer assistance, to 'shock' I'll try tomorrow too.

I need to get it off as the HT lead has burnt through, I'm confident that the exhaust has caused that though. I do want to look at the points & replace anything under there that I can, providing I can get the parts, new or second hand.

I really do appreciate your advice here & shall approach both jobs with a positive attitude tomorrow, work permitting.
Thanks again,
Decal Man :D

DECAL MAN

Monro Tiller
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 20:26 »
Sir, you are a gentleman.
Absolutely correct, nut undoes anticlockwise & fltwheel comes off!
I shall endeavour to get new coil,HT lead & point etc etc., as I want it all ship shape. I shall try to run it and then restore it all back to it's former glory.

Thank You so much again.
DECAL MAN

DECAL MAN

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17 »
Nearly there,
I have got to say it, villiers parts, George Shead.
Absolutely excellent service and absolutely perfect workmanship & parts availability.

Came back looking exactly as new, tomorrow is installation day as I'm working (again) today still.

Thank you George again if you read this forum!!!

Decal Man

DECAL MAN

Monro Tiller
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 17:19 »
The Great Popping Sound Has Arrived!!!

Got it going today, must be the first time in at least 12 years. Just needs all the oil changes & a cable, for what I'm not sure of it's actual purpose via the lever on right side handlebar.
Anyone know of a palce to obtain a manual for operating the rota/cult avator?

Thanks everyone for all advice.
DECAL MAN

landie57

• Vintage Horticultural & Garden Machinery Club
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 16:13 »
Decal Man, the clutch like lever on the r/h handle bar is for the reverse gear, operate clutch before trying to change from forward to reverse. Note, clutch is not required when changing between 1,2 and 3. Reverse works in all gears, but you must have one wheel ratchet locked.

landie57

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 16:23 »
Decal Man, forgot to add, gearbox oil should be a straight gear oil not an EP type as the additives in EP oil can damage the bronze worm wheel gear in the gearbox. Long dipstick is for gearbox oil level and short one should show oil level after machine has run for a while and had time to pump oil upto that part of the gearbox. This is critical as it provides lubrication to the worm gear.

DECAL MAN

Monro Tiller
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 17:42 »
Thanks,
it's all starting to make a bit of sense now.
All being well at the weekend I shall try & run it through its paces!!

Thanks very much indeed for all your help & advice.

Decal Man

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 21:36 »
now lets have some pics  :wink:
still alive /............

DECAL MAN

Monro Pictures
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 23:13 »
Now I've seen it somewhere....How do I 'post' pictures onto the forum???
I don't have a bucket for photo's etc so I'm unsure as to how to do it??

Albeit I use computers for my work, this is not an everyday procedure for me.

But Yes, as soon as I can do that I'll put some on as it is, and later... quite a bit later, when I have stripped & done it all.

AGAIN, Thanks to Everyone for the invaluable help with my project!!

Decal Man

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:53 »
incidently i think :scratch:  that SIMAR took over the importation and the gubbins of monro,s  :roll:  memory a little clogged up nowadays

landie57

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 17:13 »
Muntjac,
As far as I know, Geo Monro sold Swiss built SIMAR Rototillers from 1930, in 1948 they started production of the British Rototiller 56, (I have the 28th one made and still use it, not bad for 60 years old). The 56 was joined by the smaller 35 in 1950. The first Monro Tiller was introduced in 1951, the series 1 Monro Tiller was short lived, 3/51 - 12/52, approx 1300 made. 1953 saw the introduction of the series 2 Monro Tiller and in 1955 the series 3 was added to the range alongside the series 2.
When Geo Monro ceased production Mechaised Gardening of Great Gransedn took over spares and produced some of their own version of the series 3, different engine and handle bar arrangement.
The VHGMC (see www.vahgc.co.uk) have the production records for Geo Monro machines and I an the current custodian of these and can date machines from themachine serial number.

xx
briggs stratton flywheel removal engine on merry tiller

Started by Abbadon on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 19:06
by Abbadon
clip
Tyres for TROJAN 'TORAKTOR' Mk1 1957 3.00x10"

Started by Tim Sargeant on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 10:28
by Tim Sargeant
xx
monrotiller series lll

Started by esso on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 20:57
by esso
xx
Monrotiller (series 1) Help Needed

Started by GPatt on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 12:36
by GPatt

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.