What to do with my peppers and chillis

• 5 Replies

funkydelia

What to do with my peppers and chillis
« on: May 02, 2009, 17:24 »
I've managed to grow some Joes F1 Long Chilis and some sweet peppers (variety unknown, from my mum!) and they're doing away in small pots. The chilis are in the house and the peppers are in the greenhouse.

WHat do I do next? Can I plant them directly into the greenhouse beds like I have with my cucumbers and tomatoes or do they stay in pots?

I've never had a greenhouse before so am a bit dim! I also have about a million tomato plants that I grew from seed and don't know what to do with now!

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with my peppers and chillis
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 23:32 »
Hi Funkydelia,

Just so your post doesn't go unanswered.

I have a small greenhouse and i put my toms, cucs in the border soil.

My OH built a shelf the length of the gh and i put all my peppers on there.  They do fine in pots.

This year i'm going to pinch them out and keep them bushy, so my reasoning for keeping them in pots on the shelf is that  they don't need the height, whereas the toms and cucs do.

So the answer to your question is you can do whatever suits the space you have!

If you keep them in the pots can you get more toms in?

Hope that helps

Liv.

funkydelia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27 »
The only thing stopping me putting in more of the tomatoes is the staging I have from growing all the seeds on. If I got rid of that I wouldn't have anywhere to put the pots.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm just not sure!  ???

Thanks for answering my post. Think I'll keep them in pots and plant more tomatoes. There's a bit of a slab border all the way round so they should sit on there ok.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:28 »
If you have far too many tomato plants you should consider swapping/selling/giving away the excess, keeping a few spares just in case.

Last year I had a right carry on moving plants round all the time because I didn't have enough room, before giving away about three quarters of them! This year I sowed far fewer.

As for the peppers, I grew mine last year in growbags, three to a bag, and they did fine. This year I am going to try the addition of a bottomless pot to the top, just to give them a bit more compost to get their roots into. I do have a dwarf variety that I will be keeping in pots though.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:36 »
I would leave the chillis in pots as if you have somewhere suitable they can come back inside at the end of the year. ???

I have tried peppers in pots and not really successful, they seem to do better in the garden in a sheltered position. Mine get thrown in the same place as tomatoes. ::)

After that I suggest some sliced chicken and make a stir fry with them, or a pepper and chilli chetney. :D :D :D :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 20:02 »
I have read that Peppers do better if potted on, i.e. 1" or so at a time, rather than being planted out into greenhouse border. Mine have been in pots in previous years and did fine, so I'll stick with that this year.

xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 11:51
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Peppers or chillis

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 10:18
by abraidwood
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 22:49
by mulletsrokk
xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.