Pruning red currants

• 4 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Pruning red currants
« on: March 18, 2014, 23:09 »
Some branches / stems on my red current bush are brown at their lower half and whitish towards the end, 20 cm or so.  Is the white part new growth or old? 

Whether the branches are all brown or partly white, most have buds on - is it still worth pruning given that buds have appeared?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:54 by JayG »

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Pruning red currents
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 23:26 »
Hi gs , in my opinion  i have several bushes with lots of white growth after i pruned it in august depending on how many white stems you got you could trim out old dark wood, to make way for this season whiteish pale new growth it will still produce on dark wood as my friend has a redcurrant  bush 5 feet across and has never pruned it its 10 year old ,somebody will come along and have a different view on this probably hope this is of some help good luck ;)Darren
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 23:28 by 3 allotments »
diggity dig dig

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Pruning red currents
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45 »

The white growth is the part I prune back each winter to about four inches, to try to keep the bushes getting too untidy. I try to keep the centre of the bush open in a kind of goblet shape so remove older wood to do this.

As 3allotments said, red currants fruit on old wood, so you will not lose any fruit by doing this now. The buds on the white wood will be leaf buds, and the brown wood will have both leaf and flower buds. Flower buds are rounder.

Some folk never prune red currants and still get a crop, but I like mine to be neat  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Re: Pruning red currants
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:14 »
Thank you for the advice.  What's the difference between leaf and flower buds in terms of a red currant bush - what produces the fruit?

I guess I could start by tidying it up, trimming it back a bit, and look for old dead wood to pull out / cut off.  It sounds like the whitish stems are new growth.

diospyros

Re: Pruning red currants
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 20:47 »
Thank you for the advice.  What's the difference between leaf and flower buds in terms of a red currant bush - what produces the fruit?

I guess I could start by tidying it up, trimming it back a bit, and look for old dead wood to pull out / cut off.  It sounds like the whitish stems are new growth.

The fruit is formed after the flowers, so these are the buds to look for and try and keep plenty of.

xx
Help Pruning Currants?

Started by SimonWray on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 02:21
by Trillium
xx
Pruning black and red currants.

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 19:25
by Yana
xx
Old red currants

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2014, 21:37
by Swing Swang
xx
Red Currants

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 17:14
by Hamani

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 36 queries.