Sweet corn

• 7 Replies

Pete C

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn
« on: October 27, 2008, 20:09 »
In terms of crop rotation, what group should sweet corn be grown in? :)
Pete C

gobs

Sweet corn
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 20:23 »
Grass. :D

Very good as not related to any crops most of us regularly grow, It's hungry, that's the only serious thing to take into account.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ice

• muck spreader
Sweet corn
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 20:33 »
Doc Hessayon has it grouped with beans, lettuce, marrow, onion, pea, spinach. aubergine, celery, cucumber leeks etc.
Cheese makes everything better.

Pete C

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 20:45 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Grass. :D

Very good as not related to any crops most of us regularly grow, It's hungry, that's the only serious thing to take into account.

I've grown them at home for years. Always in the same place due to mini garden restrictions. However, now I have a lotty, I'm planning my beds with rotation in mind.
Recipe: Pick cob, and strip leaves. Wrap in foil with copious amounts of butter, chuck on BBQ for ten mins. Unbeatable :)

Pete C

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 20:46 »
Quote from: "Ice"
Doc Hessayon has it grouped with beans, lettuce, marrow, onion, pea, spinach. aubergine, celery, cucumber leeks etc.

Well, that covers at least 3 groups Ice..........guess it doesn't matter than? :)

Ice

• muck spreader
Sweet corn
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 20:50 »
Doc Hessayon only has three rotation groups, Roots. brassicas and others, which is where he puts sweetcorn.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:56 »
i am planning on growing mine in the same space where hopefully i will have just dug up the winter onions i planted out a few weeks ago.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Sweet corn
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 23:55 »
I'm classing sweetcorn as "others" on the basis that it is neither a root or a brassica.  I'll rotate it accordingly.  

The way I understand it is that you shouldn't grow roots or brassica in the same place twice in a row for fear of disease.  That ideas natural conclusion is that you can grow sweetcorn in the same place twice as it is an "other".

My plot neighbour grows his sweetcorn in the same place every year but says the sweetcorn bed is largely plant food with a dressing of soil for the look of the thing. :)

They are very hungry plants and have turned my light soil to sand and stones. I've had to add untold amounts of organic matter to the soil this autumn.

This means that I can't grow roots there next season so my brassicas will follow the sweetcorn around the plot forever.  So the roots follow the brassicas as the plot would have been manured the previous year.  Well that's got that problem sorted.  My plot is split into four parts so I'll do what Michael Evis does and hold a rock festival on the other bed! :)
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet corn

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 10:30
by Kristen
xx
sweet corn

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2016, 14:53
by mumofstig
xx
sweet corn?

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 09:11
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.