Which sweet corn are you growing this year?

• 18 Replies

Plot94

Re: Which sweet corn are you growing this year?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 16:03 »
Trying a new one for me this year called Rising Sun from Premier seeds, 50 for 99p, good germination around 90%, healthy plants and good taste so will definitely be growing these again  :D

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 15:56 »
as an aside, in my attempt to stop vermin eating the cobs just as they become ripe :mad:...I have tried a new method this year.

I purchased a pack of brown paper bags (used for pack lunches) and placed one over each (nearly) ready cob and secured with an elastic band.....it appears to have worked :D.  none of my cobs have been eaten and the paper bags don't make the cobs sweat, even after the heavy rain, the bags dryout  and haven't disintegrated.

it may be a coincindence, but for once, i am eating my all my corn rather than sharing them with unknown visitors.  i just thought i would share my findings with those who also have experienced this in the past ;)

Nobbie

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 16:35 »
as an aside, in my attempt to stop vermin eating the cobs just as they become ripe :mad:...I have tried a new method this year.

I purchased a pack of brown paper bags (used for pack lunches) and placed one over each (nearly) ready cob and secured with an elastic band.....it appears to have worked :D.  none of my cobs have been eaten and the paper bags don't make the cobs sweat, even after the heavy rain, the bags dryout  and haven't disintegrated.

it may be a coincindence, but for once, i am eating my all my corn rather than sharing them with unknown visitors.  i just thought i would share my findings with those who also have experienced this in the past ;)

I use old socks over mine as I have a mouse problem on my 2nd plot. Noticed the silks we're out on my second batch, so a good reminder to do this soon :)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 22:08 »
I don't own that many socks,  hence my improvisation  :lol:

xx
Growing different sweet corn varieties next to each other

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 10:53
by Yorkie
xx
growing sweet corn in pots

Started by stan deakin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 10:04
by abraidwood
xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Growing sweet potatoes in straw bales next year

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 19:53
by Spr0ut

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 38 queries.