herbaceous border

• 17 Replies

garddwr

herbaceous border
« on: July 12, 2009, 16:46 »
I'm thinking of starting a herbaceous border bext year as I like the concept of chopping it all down in winter and all fresh growth in spring.

Does anyone have a herbaceous border ? Is it worth it ? Would you recommend ?

I know I would like some crocosmia,dephiniums and red hot poker but I need a few more than them.

Can anyone give me some plant names or any inspiration ? Pictures would be great   :)

Thanks

Garddwr

Trillium

Re: herbaceous border
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 22:15 »
All depends on whether you have full sun, part sun, shade.

Assuming full sun, also try irises, hollyhocks, bee balm, shasta daisies, rudbeckia, peonies, perennial asters, hibiscus, daylilies, hostas (in underplanting), liliums, chrysanths, sedums, evening primroses, any of the dusty millers.

Dianthus and sweet williams are good in the herbaceous bed but can be left in peace.

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 22:30 »
All depends on whether you have full sun, part sun, shade.

Assuming full sun, also try irises, hollyhocks, bee balm, shasta daisies, rudbeckia, peonies, perennial asters, hibiscus, daylilies, hostas (in underplanting), liliums, chrysanths, sedums, evening primroses, any of the dusty millers.

Dianthus and sweet williams are good in the herbaceous bed but can be left in peace.

Thanks so much, you've given me a load of new ideas to what I thought.

Really useful, I'll have to investigate some of those plants next week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 22:35 »
I like perennial geraniums and campanulas, alchemilla mollis, cat mint, penstemon, hardy fuchsias and foxgloves :)

Debz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31 »
The bees love Astilbe which comes in many different shades of pink, white and red.  It seems to grow just about anywhere, has heads like candyfloss and is very low maintenance.  Phlox are also beautiful as are hemerocalis (sp ?).  My mum has a large herbaceous border which is just about ready to burst into full flower.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 19:55 »
Daylilies (hemerocallis) are always great. But I'd be very leery of cat mint. It can very quickly get out of control unless you're diligent at deadheading the spent flowers. Alchemilla also needs deadheading on time or it flops over everything and seeds everywhere  >:(

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 20:40 »
Sedum spectabile - foot or two high, nice plump bluey-green foliage to provide a bit of interest spring and summer, great early autumn flat plates of florets that mature from pink to deep carmine.  Butterflies love 'em.

I currently have to dig out four or five sacks of crocosmia (montbretia) every year so be sure you really, really like it!  A major weed it do be.

Bees and butterflies like buddleias too.

Concur with astilbe - as well as the beautiful feather duster heads, if you then leave 'em where they are they turn bronze and with just a bit of judicious tidying look interesting all winter, and also form a nice part of a Christmas dried flower thingie.  They do need water though  (boggy bits of the border are best)

Hostas look good especially the variegated ones (but potential slugfests).  The shapes of those leaves - big and spade shaped, contrast really well with the multileaflet astilbe and the strappy crocosmia if you do go for them.  A nice permanent resident -  dwarf conifer or something - for year round structure and Bob's your aunties husband!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 20:54 »
Alchemilla also needs deadheading on time or it flops over everything and seeds everywhere  >:(

That's why i love it .....it fills in all the places where nothing else grows except weeds!!
Call it a pretty weed if you like, but i'd rather have alchemilla than 'real' weeds :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44 »
Trick is to get interest to follow on through the year.

Early would be things like the usual spring bulbs, plus Aquilegias, Pulmonaria, then Heucheras (all sorts of foliage colour but low), Astrantias, Monkshood (Aconitum) a good alternative to Delphinium - don't need staking and very toxic so 100% slug proof, Astilbes are great - particularly like Astilbe 'Fanal' lovely deep cerise.  Sedum spectabilis as mentioned by others - give it a chop when Chelsea is on, stops it flopping later in the year.  And don't forget things like Verbena bonariensis, dotted throughout, plus Alliums, and Hosta for more foliage texture, Oh! and just remembered another early one though does seed about - Cherophyllum hirsuitum roseum or Hairy Chervil.  Basically pink cow parsely - flowers late spring early summer, cut back, and then fresh ferny foliage.  And don't forget grasses.  Stipa gigantea as a tall georgeous fountain, Stipa tenuissima, low soft and fluffy, and all sorts inbetween.  I love em.  I'd also include things like Rosa pink flower carpet.  I know it's not a perennial, but it does give a colour boost from mid to late summer and even autumn.
Could type flower names all day, best go and get some work done.

garddwr

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30 »
Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

I think I've found the ideal plant package online.

Have a look at this:

Popular Cottage Garden Perennials-Mirror Reader Offers

Its on  the Mirror Reader Offers website, and I have phoned to ask when they would be delieverd and when I should plant them out but I have to call back on Monday.

Does it look any good ? Have you ever used this website ?  (it says they will be delivered from J.parkers) ?

If they are delivered within the month , should I plant them out then ?

Thanks
Garddwr
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 20:08 by garddwr »

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:11 »
Nice flowery selection.  They are module grown, so will be teeny tiny at the moment (hence price), one mouthful for a slug.  :( Well OK, maybe two mouthfulls. 

For that reason, if it were me, I'd be potting them up first and keeping an eye on them, and definately protecting them from slugs.  Aiming to plant out next year when they've got a bit more growth on and won't be quite so vulnerable.

If you were to plant them out straight away, I think you'd experience quite a few losses.

Don't plant this lot anywhere shady. They'll need a nice sunny, well drained spot (but not bone dry).   8)

garddwr

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:44 »
Nice flowery selection.  They are module grown, so will be teeny tiny at the moment (hence price), one mouthful for a slug.  :( Well OK, maybe two mouthfulls. 

For that reason, if it were me, I'd be potting them up first and keeping an eye on them, and definately protecting them from slugs.  Aiming to plant out next year when they've got a bit more growth on and won't be quite so vulnerable.

If you were to plant them out straight away, I think you'd experience quite a few losses.

Don't plant this lot anywhere shady. They'll need a nice sunny, well drained spot (but not bone dry).   8)

Thanks for the adivce.

I'll have to check what size they are on Monday as well.

Do you think they would be ok on the lower shelf of the greenhouse staging poted up into pots all winter and then plant out in spring ?

Thanks

Flowerpower136

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 14:45 »
I think so, they'll need light until they die down and go dormant, but then should be OK in greenhouse. Just don't let them completely dry out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 15:29 »

Does anyone have a herbaceous border ? Is it worth it ? Would you recommend ?

Yes, yes and yes !

Can anyone give me some plant names or any inspiration ? Pictures would be great   :)

We have the plants you named and also Dicentra, primrose, Celandine, Scabious, Achillea, Lathyrus, Liatris, Aliums, Echinacea, hardy fuschia, flox, Ragged Robbin, Clematis, poppies (papaver) and many more whose names I forget.
border.jpg
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 15:44 by Aunt Sally »

garddwr

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 15:49 »
Thanks Aunty ,

that border is beautiful.  Did you buy the plants or raise them from seeds ?

What do you think of the Mirror Reader Offers link I posted ? I'm not sure to go for it or not.

Thanks

Garddwr

xx
Herbaceous border advice please

Started by Faz on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 09:49
by blackisgreen
clip
Herbaceous plant I.D.

Started by Steveharford on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 18:09
by Steveharford
xx
Name needed for herbaceous geranium

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 12:51
by Goosegirl
cheesy
Border/Hedge.

Started by vicki bates on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 12:08
by RichardA

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.