Ginger beer

• 76 Replies

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
Re: Ginger beer
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 22:34 »
The real GBP looks like a lava lamp!
A few years ago it was considered extinct, but I heard the publicity caused its re-discovery and now it is making a comeback.
One day I might try to get some for myself, but until then I will use champagne yeast.

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 20:22 »
Just having a sample taste of the brew I started. It must be at least 6.5% from the feel of it. It's going to be hard to leave the current brew in bottles to mature for the next 3+ weeks in the garage. I just bought a hydrometer so need to learn how to use it for the next batch of ginger beer i will be making. I using it on a couple of wine kits for practice. I reckon the first kit will work out at about 11%.
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

Auntiemogs

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 23:43 »
Oh the tragedy!  :( 
Strained out my ginger beer into a sterilised container and set to ferment...nothing.
Added more sugar (in case it had run out of steam)...nothing. 
Added more yeast in case it had starved to death before I added the sugar...nowt.
I gave the container a good rinse under the tap but all I can think of is that I didn't get all of the sterilising solution out.  :blush:
Woe is me... :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lardman

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2012, 00:15 »
Woe is me... :(

What yeast are you using ?

Get yourself a fresh sachet or good quality yeast something like the Gervin GV3 (yellow label) and follow the instructions on how to restart from here clicky

I can't see you killing all the yeast off by not rinsing properly, although the high temperatures recently may have seen them off especially if you're using an old packet/tub thats been kept in the open.

If you're judging fermentation by airlock traffic make sure you have a good seal  ;) bit of vaseline around the grommet to be on the safe side.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2012, 00:49 »
It was a fresh sachet of Youngs Champagne Yeast Lardman.  The first ferment went well but now nowt.  :( 
Just checked it and the thermometer was reading 26deg - just realised I've left the heat pad on (was quite nippy when I strained it) - doh!  :blink:
Have already added the yeast but sprinkled a bit more yeast nutrient in (thanks for the link).  :)
Will give it another week to see if it recovers, it smell ok so there's still hope.  Ta muchly for the help. :D

Mr Chutney

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57 »
I've made quite a few batches using this recipe now, its fab.  I put the ginger though the Juicer a few times to try and extract a bit more taste - add to the spice factor a lot also.

I also had a bottle explode, this was during the winter so the central heating probably was partly to blame.  I use empty 'famous brand cola' bottles, which expanded to look like rugby balls before 1 finally popped, so this should be easy to avoid by letting a little gas escape occasionally.

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 20:46 »
Last one I made I added a pound and a half of sugar a gallon,sg was 1.060.I fermented it out to dry using Youngs wine yeast(from Wilko's) it finished about 9%. It tasted great as a mixer or on it's own. I always use plastic lemonade bottles, they can really take some pressure.

Casey76

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 21:02 »
I've just put a gallon of ginger beer on yesterday using a very similar recipe to that posted (no raisins in mine though!)

It smells so amazing I'm going out and buying a 25L fermenting vessel tomorrow...

Lardman

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 21:31 »
It smells so amazing I'm going out and buying a 25L fermenting vessel tomorrow...

And why not  :D and to think you were unsure about your new hobby  ::)

Casey76

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 16:59 »
Waiting for my new batch of ginger beer to cool down a bit before pitching yeast...

Managed to pick up a nice 30L barrel, so I hope it turns out Ok  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 21:12 »
Goodness me, where does the time go?  :ohmy:

Well, my ginger beer never did start fermenting again and so I left it sitting in the corner of the living room...for...er...a while... :wub:

Having enlisted youg son to lift it for me this week, upon checking, it looked fine and had no 'lurgies' so I decanted it into a spare pressure barrel (seemed a shame to waste all that ginger) and tested it.

Yup, tasted just as awful as the fizzy stuff before the addition of glycerine and Splenda!  :ohmy:

After addition of the requisites, I have to say, it's not tasting too shabby at all.  No clue as to the (hic) incahol contentstuffs (hihhic) bus dffs thar..... :tongue2: :wacko: :lol: 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 21:39 »
Did anyone print out the original recipe as the link on the first post doesn't work any more  :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 21:45 »
I know it was from here Mum but tbh am far too pickled to work through the 28 pages... :wacko:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5982
I shall have a looksee in my recipe book and see if I have written it down somewhere... :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 21:58 by Auntiemogs »

grendel

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2012, 19:05 »
my first Christmas batch is bottled (a bit of sediment in the bottom) 2 plastic bottles plus 1 1/2 glass pint ones, second batch brewing.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2012, 19:08 »
changed the link on p1 to this one - hope it's the right one  :D
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5982

xx
ginger beer

Started by flowergirl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 23:39
by Annie
xx
Ginger beer

Started by littlewitch on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:51
by willowman
xx
Ginger Beer

Started by pulse on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 09:33
by zazen999
xx
real ginger beer

Started by phil/anne on Homebrew

20 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 14:15
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.