Dilemma!

• 7 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Dilemma!
« on: April 11, 2013, 15:42 »
Someone along our road lets their dog roam so that he goes into everyone's gardens, even jumping over quite high walls (leaving the evidence behind).  He has not been neutered and does not have a collar/tag although everyone seems know who he belongs to. Our road is a dead end but vehicles come up and down the road at speed (usually from the dog's owner's house) - the owner's other dog was killed by a car a while ago.  We also join onto a busy road and I know that he wanders down onto that road so it can only be a matter of time before there is another accident.
We have just got a puppy and while our back garden is secure for her, it is not secure to him as he is a large dog and can easily get over the wall.  This means that I can't leave her alone for 5 minutes in the back garden (to put the poop sack in the bin in the front garden) without finding him sniffing around in the neighbour's garden and trying to get into ours.
This has been a gripe for a while (finding other dog's poop on your lawn) but this is the last straw.  I am very tempted to report him to the dog warden as I don't think the owner is being responsible - everyone else with dogs along the road (and there are a lot!) keeps them under control and clears up after them (we all wave our black bags at each other!!).
Just wondering what you think?! Am I being a grinch or should we just make our garden walls higher?!  ???

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 15:46 »
It should not be your responsibility to keep someone else's dog under control.

It possibly is your responsibility to keep it off your property by having the property adequately secured and it sounds as though you do, but you should be able to take some sort of action to stop it being allowed to roam free.

You don't want unwanted pups, do you?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 16:40 »
why not contact the dog owner first and explain your worries, failing that ask the dog wardens advice -- only go along the formal "reporting" by which I assume "complaining" route after that - if you can sort things amicably, and I hope you do, it saves hassle later. You are however certainly entitled to be very concerned about excreta on your lawn and your pup being at risk of disease, attack or pregnancy and to seek help.
R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 16:58 »
some owners are 'unaproachable' and a warning from the dog warden means you personally don't get involved.
Why don't you ask the dog warden what to do about it?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 17:12 »
If a dog is roaming then it's out of control and the owner is responsible. Speak to the dog warden.  If the Warden collects the dog and it's not chipped then a formal conversation will take place and the owner will be charged to get the dog back and for the chipping

Good luck  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 17:30 »
There are leash laws in some areas so you can check if it applies to your area.  Found this online

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Fined-Cheltenham-woman-let-dog-leash/story-11911186-detail/story.html#axzz2QAmX0pJF

I would personally report to the authorities as I would never forgive myself if a car accident caused by the dog resulted in injury to an animal or person.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:16 »
it is also illegal for a dog to be in a public place without an I.D. tag so a word in the dog wardens ear may be needed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:37 »
Thanks all - I don't feel so much of a sneak now! But it does just seem wrong to me.
I am a bit surprised that my neighbours seem fairly laid back about it but there again they may not have had poop on their lawn and a dark stranger trying to get over their wall!  It might also be something to do with the owner mixing in fairly elevated circles and he is also notorious locally (not necessarily for the right reasons)   :unsure:

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.