Calabrese

• 4 Replies

kingston boy

Calabrese
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:55 »
Hi all, can anybody give me an idea if my calabrese, that i just finished cutting,sprout side shoots in the spring. I cut heads of grapefruit size  10 days ago as i didnt expect them to grow anymore but the plants are in terrific shape and this was the only cut i done. They were planted quite late but i did get a reasonable crop off them. So what are the chances i'll have side shoots in March?

Paul Plots

Re: Calabrese
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:49 »
An interesting question!!

I haven't got an answer for you though.  ::) Mine have cropped really well for many weeks - also late planted. Had the snow stayed away for a little longer they would have been long gone by now.

More from them in the Spring? Interesting!!! I have my doubts though.

Come on someone.... What's the answer? 
Up and out or let them stay?? 
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 13:24 »
ordinary calabrese is an autumn crop and the plants are not winter hardy. The tops of mine were black and mushy when I looked today, I only rescued a few side shoots :( The plants went on the compost heap.

I think it's only the overwintering types of SB or PSB that are winter hardy and grow new shoots in spring.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 17:35 »
ordinary calabrese is an autumn crop and the plants are not winter hardy. The tops of mine were black and mushy when I looked today, I only rescued a few side shoots :( The plants went on the compost heap.

I think it's only the overwintering types of SB or PSB that are winter hardy and grow new shoots in spring.

Evidence proves you right MS!

Nipped to the plot today as I had some spare time (at last) and mine are looking decidedly sorry for themselves. I'm sure they wouldn't make it through the winter even covered with fleece. 

If the shilling hadn't run out of the meter I would have stayed longer and dug them out.

There we go Kingston Boy... If your's aren't the hardy type you will need to do the same as me and make room for them on the compost heap  ;)

Thanks Mumofstig  :)

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 18:09 »
When I went to the plot on Thursday, the brassica tunnels were all under deep snow. This morning, I picked some side shoots from Crown & Sceptre calabrese, and there are more coming.
So, I would say, if the plants are looking healthy, then leave them be. You may well be surprised  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

xx
calabrese

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2021, 16:13
by John
xx
calabrese

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 19:36
by maxibo
xx
Help with my calabrese please!

Started by praveena on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 14:19
by Goosegirl
xx
calabrese

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 14:28
by DD.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.