Couple of questions about gutting a rabbit

• 4 Replies

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« on: January 24, 2009, 18:35 »
I've done a search, and seen bodger's FAB photos/description of how to skin and prepare a rabbit for the pot  :D  But i've got a couple of other questions...

My OH's going out in the morning with my BIL to shoot a couple of rabbits for the pot (he's been on some shoots before but never brought anything home). However, he's too squeamish to prepare the rabbits, and i'm not. So it comes down to me  :roll:

So two simple questions really.

1. we had a problem with Myxomatosis here last year. obviously he won't be shooting any ill (or myxi) looking rabbits for the pot, but if for example a rabbit has *just* caught the myxi virus, and we didn't realise, would it be safe to eat?  :?

2. i've looked at gutting photos but haven't seen any about how to cut the rectum area away... not quite sure how to do that, or whether i need to, and whether it should be done before or after skinning/gutting etc?

help!  :shock:
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

beki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23 »
Doesn't matter... they didn't bring any back anyway  :lol:  Useless bladdy men  :lol:  (although to be fair there were none about this morning.. not much you can do about that is there  :roll:  )

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 18:43 »
Myxy is spread by fleas. I do not think you can catch it from a carcase. I may be wrong. Humans can catch it but I think it is very rare.

Just in case the bunnies sit still enough next time. When you remove the paunch the gut is cut/broken inside the body cavity. When you pull the skin off the back legs the rectum often comes with it. If not you have to cut it out. Some people cut through the pubic bone to get it out which ensures that it is removed properly.

Oscar Too

Re: Couple of questions about gutting a rabbit
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 15:34 »
Hmm.

Ideally he'll paunch them in the field just after he shoots them, otherwise it can get really messy.  The carcase stiffens up and makes paunching difficult, and any leakage from the gut due to shot will swill around inside the cavity tainting the meat.  Tell him not to be a wuss.

beki

• Experienced Member
Re: Couple of questions about gutting a rabbit
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 23:37 »
it's our field, right next to the house... so about a 30 second walk lol. i've tried telling him not to be such a wuss... not working! lol  :tongue2:  :lol:

xx
A couple of recommendations

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 12:14
by Scribbler
clip
Passing along a couple okra recipes

Started by Subversive_plot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 12:58
by snowdrops
xx
Rabbit and..............

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 22:53
by asd1
xx
so you have your rabbit ,,, what now

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 23:41
by Flower

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.