Supporting raspberries

• 10 Replies

LucasAndRichard

Supporting raspberries
« on: December 09, 2008, 17:45 »
Finally got my Parkers Raspberries today, and should be able to get them in tomorrow after work, but have a few questions - and yes, I know I should already have asked them!  Most are summer fruiting 8) , which I now know how to prune etc, and need support - the whole T frame bit is too complicated for my limited woodworking skills :? , so my plan is three long bits of wood (technical, aren't I! :shock: ) along each row - one each end, one in the middle, and wires between these posts.  My question is, how tall do the posts need to be - how high are the canes likely to grow?  And do these supports need to be put in now, when I'm planting them, or before (uh oh... :oops: ), or would it be okay to put the supports in in the spring?  
Lucas

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Supporting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 18:22 »
That's how I do mine.

The posts are 5' above the ground and I suggest you put them before you plant. I dug a hole for mine rather than trying to bang them in. Don't forget the wood preservative.

How long is the row?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 19:15 »
I am all for copying good ideas. For a simple design look at the photo in the Harrods catalogue. Both single and double row supports have a length of timber along the top which prevents the post from moving inwards. The double row system has cross pieces but the single row system uses the width of the post to space the wires, just tuck the shoots between them as they grow.

Looks easy to construct.  www.harrodhorticultural.com

mikem

• Experienced Member
Supporting raspberries
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 19:30 »
Quote from: "Salmo"
I am all for copying good ideas. For a simple design look at the photo in the Harrods catalogue. Both single and double row supports have a length of timber along the top which prevents the post from moving inwards. The double row system has cross pieces but the single row system uses the width of the post to space the wires, just tuck the shoots between them as they grow.

Looks easy to construct.  www.harrodhorticultural.com

Click on this:-

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Fruit%20and%20Vegetable%20Cages_Fruit%20and%20Vegetable%20cage%20accessories/GDN-268.htm

and then zoom in on the photo.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Supporting raspberries
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 20:40 »
My RHS handbook ( this is from memory ) suggests simply 2 posts 1 either end and then nylon rope ( washing line ) taken from one end to the other round the post and back to the original one, so it makes a loop. do this at 3 times at various heights  and then simply training the raspberries through that. I'll be trying that method myself, so I'll report back on any success or otherwise.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

LucasAndRichard

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 22:02 »
The rows will be 14 ft long each - do you think the washing line technique would be strong enough?  Still be providing enough support for the canes in the middle I mean?  Salmoo - that might look straightforward to you, but trust me - I'm seriously not that co-ordinated!  Also, it looks like there would have to be a series of short rows, and a lot of wood!  I'm thinking I might see if I can convince Richard that he really wants to spend tomorrow morning digging holes on my allotment while I'm at work, and possibly constructing some kind of support system for them!  At least nylon washing line is easy to pick up cheap at the moment - we live near a big Woolworths!!
Lucas

woodburner

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 23:21 »
As far as height goes I would think no higher than you can easily reach to pick.
I made that mistake with my beans this year.  :oops:  :roll:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salmo

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 23:41 »
The Harrod system is 8 ft of row. According to that for 14 ft you will need a post in the middle. I think the rail along the top is important for stability.

I like the idea of washing line. Ask your neighbours and keep an skip eye open for old lines being thrown out. The lines are usually good and they are free.

When the canes grow to the height you want either cut them off or train them along the top wire.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Supporting raspberries
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:17 »
Quote from: "LucasAndRichard"
The rows will be 14 ft long each - do you think the washing line technique would be strong enough?

That sounds about right. That would be 7' between posts. My 32' rows have 5 posts, giving 8' runs and have no problems.

Trillium

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 15:26 »
I'm guessing that UK washing line is similar to Cdn - vinyl coated wire mesh. Love the stuff. I picked up many packets on clearances for jobs like this. Wood stakes aren't the only supports you can use - I have access to some old metal electric fencing posts which I use on mine. They're not pretty but they certainly hold up to the weight of berry laden canes sagging over them. One suggestion I'd make is that the very end posts should be angled away from the crop. This will take the stress and weight better than straight upright posts.

Trillium

Supporting raspberries
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 15:44 »
Just checked out Stephanies Kitchen diary. Wow, I'd LOVE to have that greenhouse but I doubt its affordable under 100 pounds. The netting isn't too shabby either and probably costs a small ransom.

xx
Supporting my poatoes

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 15:49
by gregmcalister
xx
Supporting tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 22:45
by coatesi
xx
Supporting trusses

Started by andyw on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 07:58
by andyw
xx
Supporting Calabrese

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 16:58
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 35 queries.