Winter veg or empty plot?

• 20 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Winter veg or empty plot?
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:03 »
I went to pick my Christmas veg from the plot a couple of days beforehand and came out with 2 carrier bags of stuff.  As I put it in the car, a woman was passing by and commented on how well I had done.

Looking back over the gate, we have a mix of plotters.  Some still have summer crop debris to clear so are clearly not going to be around until spring, some are already cleared down and have not a speck of green left growing and then there are the ones like me.  Some bits cleared, but stuff overwintering and standing.

Onions, garlic and Wizard beans are up and showing.  To crop, I have swede, cabbage, leeks and various greens.   It got me thinking and wondering what everyone on here has as their system.  Bare earth or bounty ?

Growster...

Re: Winter veg or empty plot?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:41 »
As it's all at home now, we really tucked things in tightly!

There are about thirty leeks out there, and a double row of PSB, which makes the veg side of the garden look quite busy - and still green too! The other side is fruit stuff, so pretty  bare!

I  should really hoe some of the late summer weeds, but it's a bit too cold at the moment...

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:05 »
I've still got some clearing up to do and a very much needed bonfire to have when the debris is dry enough, some beds are cleared and covered ready for a quick start in spring. I still have cabbages, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, leeks and kale still to pick.  Garlic is growing away now and this week I'll finish clearing the greenhouse at home and start off the onion seeds.
Roll on Spring!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 10:50 »
I have 1 long bed only half forked over, most of the others were weeded and sowed with Phacelia or Mustard. Only the 'winter' beds in use with cabbage, leeks and swede in - the swede not doing well this year, they obviously didn't get watered enough through the drought.

Grass paths all seem to be growing well though  ::)  :lol:

Raspberry bed is weedy and still needs pruning back...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:51 by mumofstig »

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 12:43 »
I’ve got 1/2 a bed of leeks, less after I picked a load that are now turning into leek & potato soup as I type lol, lots of parsnips,although it has been so wet the leaves have turned into a soggy rotting mess that I must clear away, there’s 2 red cabbage without any outer leaves, must plant closer together next year as they were just too big for 1, then there’s the sprouts that I’ll be eating til the cows come home as they did really well & I obviously over compensated for my previous inaccuracies. There’s some kale that hasn’t done much & there should be psb but I’m not sure whether I got mixed up on that score, oh & a row of carrots that are on the end of the leek bed & I forgot to harvest from them for Christmas dinner so pulled 1 this morning & it was a reasonable size from my late sowing. The rest of the plot is a bit of a mish mash of beds that need a tidy & mulching. I’ve not done garlic or overwintering onions this year to free up the room to get my poly tunnel installed over the next 3 months hopefully, although the brassicas are in the way of that happening oh & the parsnips :wacko:.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 13:30 »
We've still got beetroot, celeriac, cabbages, sprouts, spring onions, leeks, winter caulis, winter radish and swedes in. Normally I'd have winter lettuces and mustards growing in the greenhouses but they're still in modules at home as the toms and peppers didn't come out till recently for various reasons, not least that the plants were still very much alive with fruit still ripening!

Edit: forgot parsnips and kale (thanks for the reminder Aidy)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 16:23 by Mr Dog »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 15:19 »
Winter Veg Man thats me  ;)
I still have..
Parsnips
Celeriac
Leeks
Scozonera
Sprouts
Kale
Swede
Cabbage
Little gems

Hate to see plots looking like the local beach!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 15:44 »
like most still have a few veg to pick in raised beds this is the fist year we had  celeriac most of the beds beds have been dug over some have spring cabbage growing and  broccoli [Burbank] for spring put some Brussel sprouts in the freezer and some cabbage to clear the beds

have some spring onions and sets as well as Cauliflowers all overwintering in the poly tunnel ready for spring planting 

there are still  some plots that have not been cleared or dug down the allotments just abandoned I'm afraid till spring  :(

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 17:21 »
Everything that is growing now is pretty small, or not yet pushed through the soil.  Brussels sprouts are still very small plants, lettuce too. Fall-planted turnips, radishes and snow peas (what you call mangetout) are up, but still tiny. Onions and spinach are not through the soil yet.

There is nothing harvestable in the garden right now. That will change when it is time to start thinning turnips and I can take some things for greens.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 17:54 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jambop

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 17:36 »

Not a huge amount but have two beds of cabbages that are going well and a bed of broccoli that will be starting to crop in two weeks. I then have leeks, sprouts, celery, carrots, parsnips beetroot and some winter radish... soon be time to start the spring vegs off.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 14:16 »
All dug over and manured for winter. Only got some broad beans sown in November. Roll on spring time!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 16:58 »
Just leeks, PSB and broad beans, the garlic is starting to come through. Wish I had cabbages, but I chose the wrong variety or planted at the wrong time and they were ready in summer/ autumn. Any recommendations for variety and techniques to have winter cabbage welcome  :).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 17:19 »
I always grow Tundra, because it is reliably winter hardy.
https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vegetables/Cabbage/Cabbage-Tundra-F1-(Award-of-Garden-Merit)
Most suppliers/stores stock it :)

Ema

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 20:53 »
I’ve got quite a bit in the ground for me, but it has taken me several years to get the nack of succession planting.
Leeks still fattening
Shallots (we didn’t have a frost last year so I’m trying an autumn sowing)
PSB although some blew over last nigh and up rooted
Swiss chard
Carrots
Beetroot
Radishes and more radishes
Kale Nero and Russian
Lots of garlic
Horse radish still to dig up

I still have beds that need clearing of weeds it’s just been so wet in Devon that I tear up the grass walking on it.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 08:50 »
Crops overwintering are broad beans, garlic, onions and elephant garlic. Crops currently being harvested are parsnips, cabbage, beetroot, carrots, leeks, celeriac, chard, perpetual spinach, three types of kale (Red Russian, Cavolo Nero and one I don't know the name of), and in the tunnel lettuce, land cress and rocket.
Spinach and ellie garlic grown for greens are almost ready to start cutting (though still a bit too slow) and the winter spring onions have simply stopped growing.
Beds not in use are tucked up under a blanket of mulch.

xx
Empty greenhouse in winter...

Started by sonic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 13:12
by Cheshire Phill
xx
What to do with empty raised beds over the winter?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 14:57
by Starling
xx
empty plot what next?

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 22:28
by richyrich7
xx
New plot in winter... what to do?

Started by animalsvegetables on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 15:43
by noshed

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 50 queries.