Water butt with chicken manure question

• 5 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Water butt with chicken manure question
« on: August 02, 2015, 20:54 »
A while back I read somewhere on these pages that mixing chicken manure in a water butt will give a good fertilizer. Having done so where can I use it.  I would like to use it for tomatoes, cucumbers and flowering pots.

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
Re: Water butt with chicken manure question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 21:37 »
I've alway's thought of chicken manure as being high in nitrogen. If that is the case then I would confine it to the heavy feeding greens such as brassicas.
If you feed it to others you could end up with all leaf.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:22 »
Do you mean fresh or dried pelleted chicken manure?

The nominal NPK values of fertilisers are only part of the story - the nutrients in organic products like chicken manure are less freely available than they are in inorganic fertilisers like Growmore, which means that the nitrogen, for example, is released over a longer period and therefore doesn't provide the almost instant 'hit' suggested by the NPK figures, which could be regarded as 'a good thing' for general use.

What happens when you mix it with water possibly depends on how long it sits there before use - if used almost immediately the liquid will only contain the soluble nutrients, and there's no easy way of knowing exactly what they are or in what concentrations, whereas fermentation would probably release some of the other nutrients mentioned above, although potentially it could also lose some of the nitrogen due to conversion to ammonia.

Bit of chemistry there and a lot of speculation  ::) - can't see it being harmful though (apart from the pong, perhaps) if you start with a weak solution and reasonable caution.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Tenhens

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 20:08 »
Thank you for the replies.

From what I recall , the advice was to 'chuck' fresh chicken waste in to the water butt and leave it for 2-3 weeks.
I put in about two hand shovals worth and gave it a stir.

Watching Monty recently , he was diluting comfrey 'concentrate' into a watering can which raised a question about should I be doing the same thing with my chicken 'concoction'.

Regarding your reply Goneterseed , that sounds like good advice, I have some tomorite which I will use.

My eldest was asked the other day to fill a watering can from said waterbutt, it was about half full before she noticed!!  It was a pale brown colour.

Two - three years ago we 'rescued'  three Aylesbury Ducks and they had a small 'pond' to paddle in, the reason I mention this was it raised the question of what to do with the 'waste' water.  I posted this question and one of the replies told me that it was along the lines of 'Rocket fuel for plants'!!   Liquid gold!   Unfortunately we had to move the ducks on , they were rather noisy.

The recent mention of waterbutting chicken manure reminded me of the ducks.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:20 »
We have four geese who use a large pool which we empty now and then and just chuck the water out onto the field. It gets full of mud and goose poo so could I use some of that on my veg garden? I use rubber gloves when I'm emptying it and not sure if it would be safe to do that re- pathogens etc.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Tenhens

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:01 »
Have been looking back and found this post from Kate and her Ducks- 2011

"I have a small pond and the water form that is used to water the veg patch and everything grows like it has rocket fuel under it. I'm never organised enough to sort out proper feeding but it never seems to matter. Have to say I put it on everything."

Not being an expert on these matters but will there be much difference between goose and duck poo?

Could you do a 'trial' and water some plants with water and some with 'goose water'?

xx
water butt butt discount

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 21:17
by chickchick
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
water in butt.

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 30, 2021, 08:00
by jambop
xx
water in a butt

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 14:53
by JayG

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 36 queries.