Poorly hen

• 1 Replies

hen maiden

Poorly hen
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:17 »
Hi, please help me. I got my first 6 hens in July. One of them is a large cuckoo maran, her name is Agnes. She was born in about March. She has laid a few eggs. I feed them good feed but maybe a little too much corn for top laying, am learning and have cut back. She was the biggest hen and the most confident, but not bossy, always did her own thing, very busy, the first to try new titbits from the veg plot through the fence.Head up high always, sat on my lap, climbed onto my shoulder, not terribly clucky, more of a throat clucker, if you know what I mean. Anyway..since the equinox she has not been the same girl, much less confident, no eggs, comb has shrunk to half it's size, her neck is shrunk in. She still eats fine. She lost a lot of feathers, so I was thinking moulting, although I think she is only,8 months old ??? The strangest thing is her gait, always a bit exagerated, but now it is a very ginger, high stepping slow walk like she's reluctant to put her feet down. She perks up at corn time and can still run, but it looks painful. Is this just moulting ????? all the other chickens are very well and two are laying.They are cuckoo maran cross rhode island red :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32 »
check her feet over to see if she has anything in them or mud balls stuck on them. Feel her legs to see if they feel warm or not. Whilst doing that check for lice mites etc. She could be going through a partial moult so that could be the reason for the lack of eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Help poorly hen!

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac
xx
Poorly Hen?

Started by jn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 18:21
by 4chooks
question
poorly hen

Started by dshand on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 20:12
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.