Bathed a hen for the first time

• 7 Replies

bantam novice

Bathed a hen for the first time
« on: April 23, 2011, 21:28 »
I have just tried bathing my bantam, Black Beauty, in bowl of warm water and she loved it.  She relaxed and seemed quite happy to stay there.  I took her out after the water cooled off a little and  towelled her dry then put her on the perch.  :)
I was rather scared to try this but the poor hen has rather a grungy backside and it needed cleaning.  Normally she won't let my anywhere near her but tonight I struck just as the hens were settled into roosting and she seemed not to mind at all.
Apart from the grungy backside she seems to be eating , drinking and moving about fine.  I can't identify which poohs are hers (apart from the ones stuck to her backside).
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Bathed a hen for the first time
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:02 »
 I need to clean one of mine but she struggles so much i'm scared of hurting her, so I'll try the evening method when shes sleepy, thanks for the tip!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:26 »
sometimes they end up with pooh on their rear end feathers just because they have too much fluff there and don't drop their fluffy knickers down far enough, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong  :).
Always make sure their feathers are properly dry before you put them back out (you can use a hairdryer on a low heat setting).
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:42 »
Thanks  :)

She is one of my favourites because she was in the first batch I acquired in 2007 and she successfully hatched out a brood of five chicks 2 years ago.  I think she is getting  to be an old lady now and needs a little help with keeping her backside feathers in order.

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 19:36 »
A few of my girls have ended up having a warm bath for one reason or another & they have all seemed to have enjoyed it. The last hen was a skittish leghorn with a prolapse & she just sat down in the in sink and relaxed.

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 20:39 »
must be the day for it- we bathed our rescue hen for the first time today, she looked very mucky underneath and now washed we can see she looks like an oven ready chicken.  Hopefully feathers will grown back- will post and see if anyone can advise
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37 »
My Light Sussex really enjoys a warm bath. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

evie2

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 15:35 »
Our Sablepoots have a foot bath every week and they love it.

This week, because it's been so warm, they were washed outside, much to the amusement of our neighbour and the big hens, one of whom, Tinker, stepped into the basin when I was putting the poots back in their run ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
what time is bed time for your chucks

Started by grumpydad on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 10:39
by TeaPots
xx
Its that time again

Started by Aidy on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 14:42
by RubyR3d
xx
What time shall I put them to bed?

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:18
by rubenjohnson
clip
One More Time!

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 16:54
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 34 queries.