Rotten eggs

• 4 Replies

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
Rotten eggs
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:13 »
We keep getting them  :( I have 6 hybrids who are all about 9 months old and with no health problems. But we are regularly getting rotten eggs - at least once or twice a week.
Is there any reason this could be happening?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Rotten eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:30 »
Are you sure they are not old eggs you are missing PP  :unsure:  Do your chicks lay in a nest box or on the floor of the house.  Sometimes eggs get covered with sawdust and only surface days later.

If you put your eggs into a jug of cold water and they stand on end instead of laying flat or very slightly tilted, they are old and you should chuck them.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 16:26 »
Well they did lay for a while under a bush and some of them were a week or 10 days old but I checked them all with the method you described and they seemed OK. But the last couple of weeks they have all come from the next box so none are more than a week old when opened and still getting the odd rotten one  ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 16:48 »
Are you washing your eggs PP?  If so you remove the protective layer on them that prevents them getting infected by bacteria.  I wouldn't have thought a week was long enough to make them that bad, but its the only other thing I can think of.

The general rule of thumb is don't wash unless you have to, then use hot water and use the egg up straight away.  Cold water makes a freshly laid egg draw any surface guck through the shell  :)

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 21:11 »
Are you washing your eggs PP?  If so you remove the protective layer on them that prevents them getting infected by bacteria.  I wouldn't have thought a week was long enough to make them that bad, but its the only other thing I can think of.

The general rule of thumb is don't wash unless you have to, then use hot water and use the egg up straight away.  Cold water makes a freshly laid egg draw any surface guck through the shell  :)

Ah, I have washed a few of them when they've been dirty (one or two of my girls still sometimes sleep in the nest box!) I had no idea you shouldn't do that. Thanks for the tip - I'll see if that sorts the problem.

xx
chickens laying rotten eggs

Started by judith on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2006, 00:38
by muntjac
xx
old rotten logs

Started by brrian on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 20:15
by brrian
xx
Incubator smells like rotten egg

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 22:30
by RICH_Chicken
xx
Awful rotten egg, concerned :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:03
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 40 queries.