old rotten logs

• 12 Replies

brrian

old rotten logs
« on: June 10, 2011, 19:09 »
hello this is my first real question my girls are about 10 weeks old and seem to be doing well ii have put some old logs and branches in the pen to keep them amused is this ok or am i inviting trouble with mites thanks   :unsure:

andy and deb

Re: old rotten logs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 19:53 »
I have a hardwood log in our pen, and a tree branch in the coop for their perch and so far no mites but we spray the coop fortnightly since we got the chooks so maybe you could do the same prevention is better than cure :)

brrian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 13:01 »
oh thanks can you advice what to use to spray and is it the wood I spray

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 13:06 »
I would suggest poultry sheild but if the logs are outside the coop I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think red mite would live there

brrian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 13:41 »
OK thanks yes they are outside and the coop is brand new and treated would you advise spraying the coop many thanks   :)

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 14:16 »
My coop is also brand new, only got my chicks on Fri!! But I intend to spray the interior every week/fortnight when I clean out, better to be safe than sorry

brrian

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 17:01 »
You are right I will get some its nice to chat to a newbie like myself. My hens are about 13 weeks old and we have known them since eggs, we got them about a month ago so still away to go before eggs. We have 8 in total all hybrid birds so quite a mixture what about your hens are they laying?

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 20:48 »
Mine are only 8-10 weeks old but loving having them already  :D

andy and deb

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:02 »
We have 6 hens and we are newbies too...ours are only 22  weeks old or there abouts well 4 of them, we got 2 new ones on Saturday who should be 14/15 weeks old so we have started free ranging them in the garden to stop the new ones getting picked on .. Its funny watching them , and learning their characters..

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15 »
If there is any mite risk it's more likely to come from the fresh branches than the old, rotten branches.  This is because of the possibility of there being a wild bird's nest in the fresh branches, and that's where the mites are likely to be.

Personally I think the benefit to your chickens far outweighs any risk, and you should go right ahead and put all those amusements in their run.

My chicken run is built on the site of an old compost/rubbish heap that has layer upon layer of various rotten branches.  It's a wonderful source of forage for my pullets as all the lovely organic matter contains a wide variety of bugs and they seem to love scratching through it.  I also throw fresh branches in there whenever they are available, just to add more interest.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 16:16 »
My OH is planning a bit of a log pile in our run to season the wood for our log burner but also for their interest and for the bugs that'll hide in it, I put 3 in there earlier and they were all over them, mind my OH was up a stepladder in the run securing netting on the top and one of the chicks climbed the first rung!

hatcher

• www.hatching-eggs.info
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 18:26 »

we have an old log in our chicken run that the chickens love to perch on,we have never had any problems with it where mites are concerned.

brrian

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 20:15 »
thanks for all the advice on logs you have all put my mind at ease

xx
Logs for my chickens run

Started by morbidia on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 03:57
by joyfull
xx
Logs in the run and red mite?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 09:40
by Dominic
xx
Rotten eggs

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 21:11
by Pepperpincushion
xx
Incubator smells like rotten egg

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 22:30
by RICH_Chicken

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.