New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from The Bay...

• 6 Replies

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
Hello from The Bay...
« on: March 23, 2020, 23:54 »
...Herne Bay (Kent, UK) that is.

My wife and I moved to Herne Bay, from London, in late June last year. The first thing we did was put our name down for a plot with the local allotment society. We figured that it would take a while to get to the top of the list. That happened a few weeks ago and we were offered a nice small plot - just the right size for us to start with - so we accepted.

So far we have managed to prune the gooseberry bushes, that had been left for a while and were in need of some extensive work to get them into shape, sow a few seeds and start clearing the weeds. Things are going well and we have made good progress.

However, this evening the PM's statement has now put a spanner in the works. I am not sure if we are going to be able to carry on with our plans for the next few weeks (at least) maybe longer. I am hoping we can claim that working on the allotment is our exercise - as it is, or will someone tell us it is not? I will try and find out what the society's official view is, but I am thinking I will just continue to tend the plot until someone tells me not to. We can easily honor the 2M 'social distance'  dictate, as we have been doing for the past week or so anyway.

All that aside, we have grown our own in the past so although we are not complete novices, we still have a lot to learn. I will post a few pictures of our progress, if anyone is interested.

Ralph.
I need more space...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from The Bay...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32 »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new lotty  :)

There's a number of threads about whether we can go to our plots, one of which is here: https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=131838.0;topicseen
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25 »
I will post a few pictures of our progress, if anyone is interested

Always - we love pictures  :)   Hi and welcome to the forum as well  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33 »
Hi there, welcome to the site. Great news on getting your plot & as you no doubt know now we can continue to work them. Start a diary on here to chart your progress, lovely to look back on
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17 »
Hi Ralph!

Men of Kent and Kentish Men are all welcome here, but even I don't count as I was born in Hastings..:0(

Plenty of good news here anyway, and more advice than you can shake a stick at!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39 »
Welcome Fishplate42.

In these difficult times it's good to have a safe place to chat. :D

Do visit thee NSALG link to ensure you keep safe on your plot !

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26 »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

Yes it is good new that we can still visit our plot. We did yesterday and everybody seems to be sticking to the guidance. The only real differences are the toilet is closed, and we now drink tea on our own plot as opposed to sitting together with our neighbours. Mind you with no toilet open we don't do too much of that!

We are keeping a diary of our own in the form of a blog. It is visible by others, but it is mainly there as a record for us to refer to. We are making good progress and will post some pictures soon. I have managed to sort out the overgrown soft fruit and that is now responding to pruning as the weather warms, and we are watering it from the vast stocks of water we inherited with the plot. As well as the usual motley collection of water butts, we inherited a huge 1,000 ltr tank that is three-quarters full of rain water from the shed roof! 

Early days yet, we have only had the plot a month. Working methodically over the ground, in four feet wide strips, digging and weeding as we go. Got some seeds under glass and prepared a seed-bed yesterday ready for planting out soon.

I will post some pictures soon, once we have something to show for our graft.

Ralph (and Sue!)

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.