Newbie from Suffolk

• 3 Replies

chcikenrunbec

Newbie from Suffolk
« on: September 26, 2009, 18:35 »
Hi I live in a small market town in Suffolk and have just bought my first Rhode Island Red Hens. They were former barn hens, very healthy looking too, they have a nice secure coop and a 20' x 10' run. next question is will they lay soon, how often and what yield will I expect. When would they be suitable for meat once they are "egged out"

Thanks.
Chickenrunbec.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Newbie from Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 18:50 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hope you love getting to know your girls and enjoy poultry keeping (sounds very impersonal but I have ducks) as much as the rest of us.
If yours are ex barn hens then they will probably be slowing down on egg production (which is why the farmer got rid of them) and this may be fairly pronounced right now as the days are really shortening and they've had a bit of a shock with the change in home (second only to death of a loved one and divorce in the stress stakes apparently ;)). They should pick up in spring if not before.

As to eating them when they are egged out, it is of course possible but there will not be much meat on them and it will be pretty tough and stringy and you will have probably falled in love with them by then! If you want birds for meat you are better off getting a dedicated meat bird and eating it young and at it's best.

Welcome again. :)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chcikenrunbec

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 19:51 »
Thanks I have room for meat birds, I guess Capons would be ideal

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 20:00 »
Sorry, capons are now illegal in the UK, but there are lots of good meat breeds that put on weight well. There are also good dual purpose breeds, eat the boys, girls for laying. Can't actually tell you what they are unless you are interested in ducks!

xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 19:21
by NormandyMary
xx
Hello Newbie here

Started by tanya on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:22
by tanya

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.