Weasel

• 7 Replies

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
Weasel
« on: June 05, 2010, 14:54 »
we were down on our allotment until late last night, 10 pm or so, watering, weeding and burning the dreaded Marestail. About 9 o'clock our dog jumped up and started frantically pacing the fence between us and the slightly but pleasantly overgrown plot the otherside. We could see the long grass moving as something made it's way through, eventually a small brown head popped up, which I identified as a Weasel, I suspect it may have a nest? in the compost heap. Delighted to see it, however I have to trust that it will leave our hens in peace, I've seen a few mice and rats on the field so hope it continues to hunt them. I don't think the Weasel poses a threat to full grown hens unless anyone knows different? ( ps our run is rat proof and has 1/2" weld mesh)

8doubles

Re: Weasel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 15:04 »
I think the hens would eat a weasel. :D but would (probably) lose against a stoat.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 15:07 »
are you sure it was a weasel and not a stoat?
Take a look at this - but yes they are a threat to chickens  :(

http://www.wildlifebritain.com/stoatorweasel.php

Have seen a rabbit taken down by a weasel (no black tip)  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 16:21 »
weasels will most definitely kill your chickens, and they can fit through very small gaps, it is legal to kill them and the most effective way is to set some fen traps about the place

Why kill something that is living in peace? Time enough for that if it becomes a problem! >:(

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 16:26 »
because they pose a threat to his chickens now, if it becomes a problem that means the weasel/stoat has already acted and the chickens will be dead  :(. They like the foxes will be breeding now and have lots of hungry mouths to feed.

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 23:20 »
because they pose a threat to his chickens now, if it becomes a problem that means the weasel/stoat has already acted and the chickens will be dead  :(. They like the foxes will be breeding now and have lots of hungry mouths to feed.

speaking from experience...get it before it gets your hens. The carnage from just one visit would make you wish you hadnt waited.   :(

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 00:31 »
thanks for your replies, definitely a Weasel but I couldn't bring myself to kill them, trusting they wiil do more good than harm I.e. killing rats and mice, if they start killing the hens  then I will have to take action. Also haven't heard of any fellow chicken keepers losing hens as yet !

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:55 »
the chickens will eat the mice.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 41 queries.