Chilli Seeds

• 21 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Chilli Seeds
« on: January 02, 2020, 16:15 »
Good afternoon all.

I am storing some harvested chillis in the freezer. Would I be able to de-frost the chillis, extract the seeds and use these seeds to grow a plant this year?

Thanks.
Ches
Ches

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chilli Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 16:33 »
Some seeds like a period of chilling, but I'm not sure about chillies, given that they come from a hotter country.

You've got nothing to lose by trying it with one chilli, I suppose.  You could put the seeds on damp kitchen towel to watch for germination, and plant up if/when they do germinate?

NB. If the chillies were an F1 variety, the seedlings will not necessarily be like the parent plant.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 16:44 »
As Yorkie says, nothing to lose by doing a test germination, although not having been dried before freezing they may have been damaged by ice crystals forming inside them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 07:26 »
Morning all,

The plant was a gift last year so i'm not sure as to the variety. I have taken two from the freezer and will carryout a germination test this afternoon and i'll let you know.

wolveryeti

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 22:55 »
I'm sure the seeds will be fine for planting (and probably the better for their period on ice). There is a big seed bank in Antarctica where they chill the seeds to -18C to slow deterioration:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 00:31 »
There is a big seed bank in Antarctica...

Wow, that really is very cool. No pun intended. I was recently reading about old crops that we used to grow, as a species, but later moved away from because of various factors, and other crops that are essentially extinct due to animal preference... migration patterns, finding a new plant to eat that was sweeter, etc... really interesting stuff. But then again, I only started growing last year, so I'm still in awe of how fast Mizuna grows, haha. ;)

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 10:55 »
I'm sure the seeds will be fine for planting (and probably the better for their period on ice). There is a big seed bank in Antarctica where they chill the seeds to -18C to slow deterioration:

I have heard of this previously. Its facinating.

MrsPea

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 08:40 »
Has anyone started growing seeds yet ? or is it to early  :)
I Love my green house

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40 »
Not yet....but i'm itching to get started.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 12:23 »
I've started mine. I have 20 or so in a propagator at the moment (with lights), but I might loose these because of bad compost. (see seed compost thread). I have only started the really hot ones though and will be starting the fairly hot ones shortly.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 12:25 »
I've started mine. I have 20 or so in a propagator at the moment (with lights), but I might loose these because of bad compost. (see seed compost thread). I have only started the really hot ones though and will be starting the fairly hot ones shortly.

I don't have the advantage of lights unfortunately

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 19:09 »
I'm going to get my superhots sown this week, I usually direct sow into compost in a heated propagator but cant remember how deep... is it about half an inch?

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23 »
I do mine closer to 1/4". As long as you have a loose potting mix, it probably doesn't matter too much.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 12:08 »

I don't have the advantage of lights unfortunately

If you don't have grow lights, I would hang on until the end of the month at least.  The really hot ones take the longest times to mature and the others are a bit more forgiving, but leggy weak plants are not ideal either way.

I have this set-up, which I got a present.  It doesn't hold a huge amount, but it is a simple way to have a grow light set-up indoors without too much mess or fuss.

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Gift-Ideas/All-Gift-Ideas/Grow-Light-Garden-_595430.htm#595430

Before that, I used the windowsill and just waited until February to sow.  Pinching out pepper and chilli plants works well as well.  If you take the growing tips out, they branch and then you get a much more productive plant  :)

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12 »
Perfect,

Thanks for the advice shoots. I was considering getting a heated propagator until I just checked out that link. Which would be the better investment?

xx
F1 Chilli Seeds

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2023, 00:56
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Chilli seeds

Started by businessmonkey9 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 19, 2020, 14:27
by Ema
xx
Chilli seeds

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 23:32
by Yabba
xx
drying chilli seeds

Started by dav105e on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 10:30
by Fred Quimby

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 55 queries.