length of run for two ducks???

• 37 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:23 »
hello people  :D

not too far off finishing the duck house now, will post some pics or a link to my photobucket album if anyone wants to see the progress  . . . . .

will start on the run next week, i'm thinking about 5 foot high to match the overall height of the house but as for length??? was thinking about 8 foot?

would that sound about right ??

thank you

dave  :)

Selkie

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 11:25 »
i don't know anything about ducks but do want to see your photos when they're done! :D

WG.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:34 »
8ft seems a bit mean when a duck is nearly 18" long itself.  :(

Our ducks just wandered free and came home at night to get shut in.  (Yes, I know that may not be an option for you.)

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:37 »
as big as possible ,,,,,,,, if you cant free roam them,, use wire or barrier netting if need be to rope of areas and allow them to regenerate  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 11:40 »
Clip their wings if they are likely to fly out of an open pen and provide covered run until they are large enough not to get carried off by gulls.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 11:41 »
Quote from: "WG."
Clip their wings if they are likely to fly out of an open pen and provide covered run until they are large enough not to get carried off by gulls.

wiggy what are you doing playing in the henhouse? you getting clucky for some birds  :lol:  :lol:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:46 »
well here ya go  :D

must have some more that ive not uploaded yet but this is the house without the front, there's mesh at the bottom to stop anything getting under it and if you notice underneath, you can see the floor frames which drop down to clean it, just figured this would make life easier. . . .

[/IMG]

this is the front i finished last night, built an air vent in at the top right side and a hinged door, got to make a ramp yet and the run so i'll start next week on them  . . . you can see the floor in this shot. . . .

[/IMG]

this one's the roof before i put one on  . . . .  the floor and the roof are laminate flooring i've saved and the sides are tongue and grooved i saved from renovating the bathroom so its even a bit green this duck house cos i've recycled virtually everything but the frame lol  :D

going to cover the top and back in roofing felt and overhang the front too so the vent doesn't let a big draft in, and was going to make a ramp out of two laminate floor pieces with little 'ladder' steps and roofing felt inbetween for grip cos its shiny of course  . . . or at least thats the plan for now lol, when ive done i'll assemble it in the garden and do some pics before i take it to my mands for installation ! hope you like   :lol:

WG.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 11:50 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
wiggy what are you doing playing in the henhouse? you getting clucky for some birds  :lol:  :lol:
Had about 50 ducks at one time - khaki campbells mostly plus a few Aylesburys.  Perfect spot here with a wee burn running past the house.  They used to nest wild and just arrive home with the little 'uns.  Cutest thing on the planet is a day-old duckling.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 11:50 »
great mate ,id use bitumastic paint under the felt to help it stick to the wood ,light wood may get wind flapping the felt n rip it ,,, :wink: when ya done that i need one for my ducks ,, till Christmas that is lolo :lol:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 11:50 »
8 foot was the question W.G it's not in stone that's why i was asking.

as it happens they'll have most of the back garden to run about in all day so the size of the run is just for night time when they're locked in to keep them free from harm.

would you say go to 12 then to make it more comfortable? think i can pretty much get away with whatever i want to do  . . . . .  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 11:53 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"
8 foot was the question W.G it's not in stone that's why i was asking.

Hence my answer.  :roll:

If they are out all day then they won't need a run at all Dave.  Beware ... they eat almost anything (and trample the rest).  :D

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 11:55 »
i'mgoing to staple it to the outer frame munty, i've done it so i've got some access to softer wood round the sides to staple to so there shouldn't be any flapping when its down.

now with me using laminate for the floor too, do you suggest i drill some holes??  if you remember, you'd suggested i left gaps for cleaning but i figured it may be too drafty underneath and a fox could be under it sniffing around so maybe just a few random holes???

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:56 »
you could have ,but put some sawdust down now n change it when its real messy  :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 12:00 »
WG.

they'd be out for the majority of the time but i know she would definitely want me to build a run cos she'd feel better going out and knowing they're safely inside something when she needs to go out.  i'd think she'd want to put them in at night until  she felt comfortable knowing they're safe from foxes etc but i'm going to make the back garden like fort knox  . . . . . .  that's about 40 foot by 25 roughly and there's more land, but that would be their initial 'home' space.

so 12 foot then? lol  

:D

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04 »
well munty i figured with the flooring being on top it should be a doddle to clean anyway and it drops down so it'll virtually just need sweeping away . . .

part from the poo that is  . . lol . . . .  just been for more wood yesterday and asked about the dust  . . . fella said, you bag it and put the big bag back on the machine and yer can have as much as yer can carry  . . . . .

do for me  . . . . . .   :D

xx
beak length

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:22
by rachelr
xx
Length of broodiness

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 10:50
by Springlands
xx
length of time a Broody will sit

Started by blodwen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 04:00
by hillfooter
xx
Moult length of time

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 11:23
by Raven81

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.