Brassica cage and a question about swede...

• 6 Replies

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
Brassica cage and a question about swede...
« on: May 06, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi.
I thought I would share with you all what I have been up to in the garden to day: making brassica cages, or rather, upgrading brassica cages.

Somewhere on this forum recently, I had read that the 10mm garden netting is not 100% guarenteed butterfly proof. This led to my purchase of 50m of debris netting and this afternoons, 3hour, mammoth project:

The greenhouse viewing window, I believe, is somewhat something of a masterpiece I think  :lol::

It took so long between removing the old netting, planting the seedlings in the other bed, making the frame and re-netting that its quite possible that the butterflies have already paid their visit and laid their eggs behing my back. :unsure:

Anyway, I also have a question. I have put collars around brussels sprouts and cabbage to deter the root fly but do I neet to put them around swede?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Brassica cage and a question about swede...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 20:26 »
First of all can i say that's a lovely job.....but can the CWBs get down between the g/h and the netting? :unsure:They're little bu@@ers for finding gaps :mad:
if all your brassicas are under netting they wont need any collars :)

ps like the poles for sides of bed they look really sturdy :)

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 20:37 »
Yeah, Im wondering about that aswell, I threaded some wire as tightly as possible through the W clips over the entire length of that side of the greenhouse and tied the bamboo cane threaded through the net to the wire so the gap is as small as poss. I think it may need looking at again though as you mention their ability to find gaps!

Bamboo canes are used, mainly for show though and ensuring tension across the top. Its a set of left handed golf clubs, that have been lying in the shed for about 10 years (none of the family being left handed), that are doing all the support work but you cant really see them.

Thanks for the advice mumofstig

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 20:39 »
Looking good Mod, really good. Just wanted to add to make sure the top of the poles are covered to ease wear and tear (I couldnt tell so much from your piccies)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 20:57 »
Do you mean to prevent potential eye injury :blink:?
I think that would be a good idea and will get on to it tomorrow.
Cheers.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 20:59 »
I never thought about that aspect, just the rubbing of the netting making holes. But yes definately that too

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 21:05 »
Id never thought about that either and will sort that out too. Its quite windy at the mo so its doing quite a bit of moving about and I could see how that could become a problem over a few months!
Many thanks.

xx
My new brassica cage

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 22:40
by Plot22
xx
building a cage for my brassica's?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 06:16
by DD.
xx
Building a brassica cage

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 21:32
by TheModfather
xx
What height is your brassica cage?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 08:18
by Beejay

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 37 queries.