chestnut anti climb fencing

• 6 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
chestnut anti climb fencing
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:36 »
hello

i need some anti climb fence, post and wire but perpendicular if you get my drift. I have a pond where i need to keep kids out yet animals can get through. Any ideas?

jrko

Re: chestnut anti climb fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 15:57 »
A picket fence with catflap size holes?  Or maybe just a gap all along bottom?
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 17:09 »
I have been thinking about something with a gap at the bottom. I appreciate that if we use horizontal wood the kids could climb up, over and in. It would be great if children were supervised on the site yet that won't happen. We have got a very shallow stream yet no-one has drown yet.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21 »
vertical slats, with every other slat lifted 6" higher than the others, like castle crenulation but at the bottom (could do the top too) this would allow a big enough gap for small animals, but not children.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:46 »
Can you put standard stock fencing with something like this over the top - it's designed not to cause injury -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-CLIMB-BARRIER-/271277159173

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 18:32 »
i don't want to kill the kids! that anti climb thing could trap thousands before their parents rescued them.

chestnut pailing looks to do the job as long as it's at least 3 foot high. we can't have 4 inch gaps as a child could get it's head stuck. we're 'allowed' a 2 inch gap. i may leave it at that for i think if i start putting a little gap here and a tunnel there a pheasant would only get itself into a pickle as they're not the brightest of birds. i've 'cornered' them on my plot and they seem reluctant to take to the air if confronted by a fence.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 23:06 »
Erm a 4 inch gap would allow a circle (head) with a circumference of 12.53 inches or 31.8cm to pass through. The human head isn't a perfect sphere anyway so it would be a little more than that.

31.8cm is the low end of the head circumference range for a newborn so unless some mothers (or fathers I suppose - lets not be sexist) are trying to post their newborns through your fence then a 4 inch gap would be perfectly small enough to prevent heads being stuck.

Just an observation

:)
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

xx
Fencing

Started by basketcase on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2006, 09:11
by John
xx
cheap electric fencing

Started by fekq on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 00:01
by Salmo

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.