dogs licking thier feet

• 35 Replies

karlooben

dogs licking thier feet
« on: December 28, 2009, 20:23 »
over the past few weeks jack has started to lick his feet an lower legs non stop in the evening he does it until late at night when i have to shout at him to stop { hes a big dog with lots of slopper it gets noisy }  :tongue2: .

so far i havent noticed any soreness not that i want to get that close i like my face and hands but could he make himself sore by doing this its driving me mental  >:(. give me some ideas of why he could be doing this .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: dogs licking thier feet
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 21:06 »
I'm no real dog expert but I'd have thought there would be a soreness risk over time if the licking is sustained.  Have you changed floor cleaner or something - could he be irritated by something like that?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 21:10 »
hi yorkie , as far as i know we havent changed anything like cleaners etc .

jack doesnt stop when hes out bascailly hes non stop ball ball ball and i am wandering wether theres something in the grass that making his feet itch but as i say theres no signs of any redness hehehehe the only time i can really have a good look is when hes flat out cold fast asleep , and i doubt very much my vets will wanna be taking a look at him when hes awake .

Parsnip

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 21:21 »
over the past few weeks jack has started to lick his feet an lower legs non stop in the evening he does it until late at night when i have to shout at him to stop { hes a big dog with lots of slopper it gets noisy }  :tongue2: .

so far i havent noticed any soreness not that i want to get that close i like my face and hands but could he make himself sore by doing this its driving me mental  >:(. give me some ideas of why he could be doing this .

It sounds like an allergic reaction to something, I have the same problem with my dog.

Has he been anywhere different, near Pine needles from a Christmas tree maybe? They are horrid... >:(

If it is driving you mad, then it will be driving  him mad too. Thats why he's  licking at himself :(

I'd take him to the vet to be honest.. :happy:

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 21:31 »
he hasnt gone anywhere different  :blink: its as if he enjoys doing it , i have some shampoo that works wanders on skin complaints so will be trying that first before taking him to the vet i know they will give him a jab and some more of this shampoo anyway .

its malselb shampoo have u tried it although u can only get it on prescription .

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 21:33 »
Our cat Mollie constantly licks just her back legs, but only in the spring??? so much so that each spring and early summer she has bald legs  :blink: very bizarre looking  :lol: but never seems sore! she just licks and licks and licks and seems to take great pleasure in it, the vet is baffled too, even the anti hystemine jabs dont work on her, just must be something that she sits in that is only around in the spring! but by mid summer she stops the licking and has fluffy legs again  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jellyhead

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 21:37 »
Have you wormed him recently. When they get itchy, bizzarly it can be a sign of worms :wacko:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 22:16 »
It can also be a sign of toothache by-the-way. Its really NOT something I would leave. Give him a glorious bath (hoho, he sounds like my dog - we get wetter than him at bathtime!). pay special attention to rinsing his legs paws, and cleaning his teeth, then later, when he's all exhausted from such an ordeal, examin each paw closely for splinters, cuts, and his mouth for sore looking gum. does his breath smell worse than usual etc?

Ultimately, unless you find something simple, like a tic, or splinter, go to the vet for examination and advice. Your dog is telling you something the only way he knows how.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:29 »
thanks for the tips guys , if i aint on here later u know my hands have been biten to shreds  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:.
p.s his teeth are fine and thankfully he doesnt have smelly breath unlike poor old buddy who always on antiboitics  :(.
will speak to the vets later and see what they say

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 06:51 »
Olliepops licks her front legs quite a lot and like yours she is very slobbery and noisy when doing it. She has no sign of soreness nor hair loss. Eventually I realised it was where she had held chews whilst eating them so she was just cleaning the area where she could still smell the chew, perhaps Jack is doing the same (cleaning to remove a scent).
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 10:31 »
he doesnt eat chews or anything joy ,. i think hes doing it for pleasure  :tongue2: cause when i look at him he stops and just gives me the look dogs give .

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 15:24 »
Dont envy you trying to give Jack a bath!!! ??? ???

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 15:40 »
i cant stick him in the bath as we dont have one  :tongue2: :tongue2: and i am not allowed to put him in the shower as its new . so i have to fill a big tub in the garden {thankfully we have hot water tap as well outside } get a sponge an wipe him down but to do his legs i have to throw water on one leg to get him to keep the other  one down  omggggggggggggggggggg its really hard work  .

Poolfield2

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 16:40 »
Now that IS posh, outside hotwater tap :D

Rubellite

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 17:48 »
Rock salt? If it's only been happening since the cold weather?
Does he go near gritted paths or roads, Looby?
If so, a bath should rid him of the contaminent, but don't use a perfumed shampoo  :(
The homeopathic remedy, Sulphur, is good for skin eruptions.
But the best advice of all would be to change him to a raw fed dog, might help his behaviour too  ;) (and that's all I'm going to say...............I'm off..............honest).

xx
How to stop a dog licking stitches

Started by Eblana on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 21:16
by Eblana
xx
my dogs ears

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 19:55
by Growster...
xx
Chicken poo and dogs.

Started by tosca100 on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 20:31
by tosca100
xx
Dogs on Plots

Started by dazem11 on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 22:54
by Starling

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.