raised beds..

• 2 Replies

Porffor

raised beds..
« on: July 04, 2008, 13:13 »
Hi all - having seen a neighbours very low maintenance garden (concrete jungle were my husbands words) I am thinking of proper raised beds in the future and just wondered if you could all inspire me on design?

Would you mind sharing pics of yours, or telling me about them?

Neighbour has raised sides to a patio section that I liked, she has a fixed 'bench' at the side for kids to sit on.. along with her table and chairs etc. I was thinking that having small 'planters' built in in the corners might work and raised bed at the top of the 'wall' sections... this way it could be made to look pretty. :)
Also thinking of beds for veggies. :) I've a dodgy back the last couple of years and it's taken me a few days to get over digging a bed that is about 4' long by 3' wide, so this'll give you an idea of my limits in that area.

If you are putting in walls - how far down do you go?

I was also wondering if i could use some compost in the bottom of the raised beds (to naturally rot down)?

Thanks all. :)

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
raised beds..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 18:22 »
I am fairly new to all this allotmenteering lark, so the information I am giving is purely from my own experience.

The first allotment we had we put in one raised bed.  It was only six inches high or so but was much easier than the other beds to keep clear of weeds.  It cost us about £20 in special wood.  Generally we felt it was successful but couldn't afford to do the other beds in the same way.

We moved allotments when one with a shed and greenhouse came up.  Still strapped for cash, we didn't put in raised beds. I am convinced that this has been a big mistake as our we have soily sand (as opposed to sandy soil) and any bed soon runs out onto a path.  They are also very difficult to weed as the weeds and slugs encroach from the paths.

My back problem has since got much worse: I am not able to get to the plot at all atm.  We have decided to do all raised beds from now on, using wood from palletts.  We have found a supply of free palletts from a local woodyard.  I am thinking of painting them in a bright colour, but don't tell hubby that!  I have been told not to use blue palletts, though I cannot remember why that was!

Because I am very short (nearly 4'12") we have also decided to make then a lot less wide than standard plots, probably about 3' wide at most.

We haven't considered putting walled raised beds in, partly due to cost but mainly because neither of us can lay bricks, The width of three pallet sides should make a decent depth and stop me needing to bend quite as much.

I am also putting a kneeler on my wishlist !

Good luck, whatever you plan to do.
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

lincspoacher

raised beds..
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Caddi fuller-teabags"
I have been told not to use blue palletts, though I cannot remember why that was!

because all blue pallets are owned by GKN, and taking them is stealing, and the do prosecute people. Also, to legally own  a blue pallet you need a pallet account with them. Then they keep track of the number of blue pallets you have and charge you 1p per pallet per day rental on them.

So dont mess with blue pallets!!!!

xx
New Raised beds

Started by SJC on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2017, 15:05
by Yorkie
xx
raised beds

Started by freefolk on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2017, 22:14
by snowdrops
xx
Raised beds

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 07:32
by sunshineband
xx
Raised beds

Started by greenie on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 13:33
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.