Another question....putting a flock together.

• 7 Replies

greeneyesgreedy

Another question....putting a flock together.
« on: August 28, 2009, 20:58 »
Dear All.
Is it possible to make up a new flock of 4 girls with 2 from one farm and 2 from another?
I am finding it hard to get the breeds I want in one location as it seems to be the end of the season.
Is it ok to get them on one day from 2 sources, bang them in the coop together, and to expect them to a. get on, and b. be healthy. (Both sources are reputable).

Thanks again for tolerance of my stupid questions, but I do worry. :unsure: ::) :wacko: :wub: ::)
3 boys..1 husband...4 hens coming on Sunday!!!

themagicaltoad1

Re: Another question....putting a flock together.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 22:57 »
You could try it. as neither pair will have had time to lay priority claim on the coop they might not be too bad, esp if you put them in at night when they're tired, but be prepared for some squabbling while they sort out their pecking order and make sure you have the means to separate them into 2 areas/ runs if needed.

peter o

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:04 »
i have a mixed flock of 14 chickens which have usually been bought in twos from various breeders. i introduce them by putting them in at night and then isolating them during the day for about a week but where the other birds can see them.
When i let them roam together it,s always worked out fine, one or two pecks at first but nothing serious.

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:21 »
Hello

I have done this a few times now, like you say it can be difficult to get all the birds you want from the same supplier.
Putting both lots in at the same time this should help.
The worst problems I have encountered was when I introduced 2 hens from the same source to a shed just for the 2 of them. In the end my OH made me stop watching and leave them to sort it out. They were fine and soon started following each other everywhere, best of friends.
Another problem came from an existing hen who 'turned' on the others, I removed her as she was particularly aggressive. She has been re-introduced now after a week of isolation and a beak bit in place. Seems fine, much calmer.  
It's all natural, if you have some way of separating them if necessary this can be helpful and make it less stressful for you! There will always be spats, that's what they do, I have introduced pairs of Orpingtons (sisters, always been together) 3 times now and on all occasions I have observed as they have squared up to each other deciding who was going to be the most dominant. I can tell my identical buffs apart by their behaviour/personality.
My experience has been that it will happen when ever there is a change, but usually it doesn't last long, they soon settle.  

No questions are daft, I would have made less mistakes if I had asked more questions in the beginning. I also would have saved myself a lot of money too, as I've made so many changes! Now I just ask :)
Jo        

MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 12:38 »
What's a beak bit?

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 14:03 »
Helps prevent feather pecking, cannibalism and egg eating.
She can eat and drink normally, but it took a few days to get used to it.
100_0331.JPG

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 14:07 »
I didn't like the look of it and felt very cruel fitting it, but it works and Wilma can be a part of the flock again.
100_0331.JPG

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 23:07 »
Once again, thanks to you all. Off to dream about collecting the girls tomorrow!! ;) :D :wub:

xx
Question regarding Adding to the Flock

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 22:34
by wildfowler4
xx
Putting the hens to bed!

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:00
by Selkie
xx
putting slabs down in run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 16:46
by karlooben
xx
Putting chickens to bed

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 18:31
by Sassy

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.