Four foot sweetcorn...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

Four foot sweetcorn...
« on: July 06, 2019, 20:32 »
Our sweetcorn has only just topped four ft, and they look like miniatures of the normal plants we've grown over the years, which have easily topped six ft!

Wandering down to our old allotments today, (to give the new crowd some un-needed cloches), I chatted with an old chum, and their sweetcorn was doing exactly the same!

The plants are developing as normal, but are very small, so is this a watering problem, or a feeding situation?

This may be the year we say 'Oh *******', they were a waste of time! Better luck next year!

Kleftiwallah

Re: Four foot sweetcorn...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 21:39 »
Good evening Growster, wait until you have a cob in your hand, then make a choice.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 21:55 »
Have you grown the usual variety this year, or a different one?
Years ago I grew Incredible and that was very tall compared to my usual Lark or Swift.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:04 »
I think sweetcorn may respond to day length, so if they have a poor start to the growing season (as was the case here during a mostly very cool June) they may start the flowering cycle before reaching their usual height.

(Just a theory - mine aren't showing any signs of flowering yet, which is just as well as they're only about 2' tall at the moment!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 10:45 »
Thanks for these replies!

They just seem to be growing shorter stems, but the cobs are forming, so they may be a different variety from previous years.

We buy the seedlings from a local GC, and I guess my chum down the road got his there as well.

I'll check when we're next in there, but there was no sign of the variety on the pack when we bought them. It's our favourite GC, so we'll get a result somehow!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 13:19 »
I have to grow mine in the g-house because the winds tend to blow the pollen off the forming silks, so I've just measured mine and they're between 6-7' from tassel to root. They're called Bountiful and haven't tried them before and there's no description of how tall they grow. I've grown Lark and Swift before, and once tried the Incredible which tried to push its way out of the g-house window so I don't know if they're doing well or not.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:46 »
TBH, now you mention it, my lark don't seem as tall as previous years but they are beginning to flower.  im also growing Tyson and they are similar size (about 4ft max) although ive never grown these before so don't know how big they grow (although by the name, I would have thought huge! :lol:)

for once, I didn't plant them out too early as it was rather cold and they all look really healthy (apart from height).  lets hope that the energy they haven't used in height, gives us beautiful cobs :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 22:37 »
Mine are about 18" and I can start to see something forming in the centre of it  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:38 »
I have the same thing with mine Yorkie! I'm just hoping I get something decent.
I haven't grown this variety (Swiss special from real seeds) before, so I'm not sure how tall they should be. I'd guess not 2 foot though!?!
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

simon hughes

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 15:40 »
Well I think at best mine about 2.5ft. Never grown em before so no idea what to expect but I guess they should be bigger  :(

Oh well!

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 13:55 »
Here's how my Bountiful look at the moment in my g-house. As I said before I don't know how tall they grow, but having grown Incredible the other year I hope I can get in to harvest them!  :)
GH sweet corn (450 x 600).jpg

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 14:22 »
Mine are around 5 feet at the mo, last year they were hitting 8-10 but then we had that mad summer for months on end and this year has been more the norm.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Chris929

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 08:20 »
Just had a check on mine last night and approx 25% are about 2ft and forming tassels  :ohmy:  :(

clip
Three Foot They Said...

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 12:46
by Iecabus
xx
Square foot garden

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 22:50
by Ann
clip
12 foot bean/pea frame

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 07:38
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Anybody tried square foot gardening

Started by blue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 16:48
by Hopalong

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 54 queries.