I put some eggs out for sale today! PICS ADDED

• 71 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
Re: I put some eggs out for sale today!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 20:49 »
I like the coolbox idea.
I dont like the thought of buying eggs that have sat in the sun all day.
I dont know if its safe or not - sorry I am more used to eggs that come from supermarkets.
Any idea on whats safe?
Might consider buying some "farm gate" eggs next time I see some.

grinling

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 21:17 »
Buy a box, if not happy don't go back. I did that at a place which sells free range eggs, I found the whites as runny as the supermarket. Now have 4 hens and sell 6 for a £.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 22:24 »
Sorry they didn't sell and the man that walked past them and bought eggs from a shop is very odd  ???

A question for you knowledgeable lot ... I was at a carboot on Sunday and walked passed 2  separate stalls selling 'double yolkers' now I thought it was a random thing to get a double yolked egg. Can you really tell by just looking at them? They had a few trays of them.

I will speculate on that one.

They probably came from an egg sorting plant, where the double yolkers are put through an automatic candling machine and discarded.  (They don't fit the profile of the 'perfect' supermarket egg and are often too big to fit in the cartons.) 

The people selling them either work at the sorting plant or can buy the double yolkers cheap as 'second grade' eggs.

Unless stated otherwise, they will certainly be battery farmed eggs.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 22:29 »
My eggs sit in a plastic box outside the front door, but the front door is north facing, so its always cool.  If people want to buy them, they have to come down the drive which is fairly long.

I always worry about my little money pot going missing, but 'touch wood', I've never lost any money.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 23:34 »
same here with the plastic box and out of the sun.  i've asked to just pop the money through the letter box, as we are about 3 meters from the path lol.
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 09:22 »
Write the laid date on in pencil and have it face upwards so folks can see they were laid today. Just a thought  :)  Don't sell them too cheap!  They're better than supermarket ones so why bother undercutting them, they should be more or at least the same as their free range ones

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 10:04 »
Write the laid date on in pencil and have it face upwards so folks can see they were laid today. Just a thought  :)  Don't sell them too cheap!  They're better than supermarket ones so why bother undercutting them, they should be more or at least the same as their free range ones

good idea about the date.

the thing is around here the farmer and small holder sell a dozen for a £1!!!

well andy sold one box at work.  Ive put them out again today, with another sign with a arrow pointing towards the house stuck on the back of our car lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10 »
I sell mine for £1 a box and this week sold 4 dozen at Slimming World but down the road from me a chap sells a full tray (30 eggs) for £3.50
Staffies are softer than you think.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 10:57 »
Just a thought, sometimes people 'trust' the supermarket eggs because they have a date to consume by on them.

My friend who sells us eggs when she has spare writes the date they were laid on in pencil.

Now I don't know how long to give home produced eggs in terms of shelf life - anybody suggest?

You could always write the lay date and a use by date on which may help avoid any complaints about bad eggs or something which may not be related to your eggs coming back to bite you.

If it were me selling, I would just cover myself and date things, but then again, I'm not a hen keeper at the moment so could be talking complete codswallop  :tongue2:

pigeonpie

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 11:17 »
When I first had my chickens I decided to sell the surplus eggs.  I sent a little letter out to a few of the people I know in the village telling them all about the girls (ex battery hens) and their new life laying eggs in my garden.  I told them that I would be selling them for £1 a dozen to help cover their feed costs and where the eggs would be (we have a fridge in the outhouse at the top of the drive) and that anyone was welcome to pop up and try some.  People did (although not everyone) and they told other people.  Now I easily sell all our surplus eggs, at least 4 dozen a week and sometimes demand outweighs supply.

I think sometimes it takes knowing about the eggs and the person who is selling them to encourage people to buy them.  I guess everyone thinks that supermarket eggs are safe as they have to pass stringent checks where as someone selling from a door step / farm gate could potentially be selling any old rubbish. 

Perhaps it is worth you contacting people you know locally or producing a little leaflet explaining who you are and where your eggs are from? 

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 11:38 »
The eggs your girls lay will last for about four weeks, but as far as I am aware you should write on the poster that they should be consumed within three weeks of purchase to keep yourself from getting in trouble. 

rachelr

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 13:17 »
The first time i put my eggs up for sale i was a little worried but after a few days i sold my first half dozen and almos did a jig.

Now i cant keep up with the demand lol. Then occasionally i get a phase when no one knocks and i begin to panic all over again.

Its fine once the first lot buy your eggs then their next door neighbours get to hear how nice they are and you are off. My hubby regularly takes eggs into work as well when i have not sold them on the door step.

Unfortuantley i have had money and eggs stolen so the sign is up with a 'please knock' included.
good luck

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 17:56 »
Do you all have full size chickens / full size eggs?
I was thinking of getting some bantams for my new house. Not sure if people will buy what seems to be just a smaller egg.

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 19:17 »
Do you all have full size chickens / full size eggs?
I was thinking of getting some bantams for my new house. Not sure if people will buy what seems to be just a smaller egg.

They will not pay large egg prices for 'fun size' eggs but they should still sell. They are a good size for boiling for picnics ,kiddies lunch boxes or for pickling.
It always seems to me that the yolks in banty eggs are proportionally bigger than standard eggs. :)

rachelr

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 19:32 »
I sell my bantams eggs for the same as the other eggs. People actually request them as they are more creamy.

I figured I would use them if they did not sell and everyone who has bought them says they are nice and dont mind paying the same for them.

cheesy
New chicks!! pics added.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 14:17
by LittleRedHen
xx
Well I went to buy some Turkeys.........(Pics added)

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 12:08
by min200
xx
Woo I have quail :D (pics added)

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 20:02
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
What sex do you think these chicks are? Front view pics now added

Started by chuckmum on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 12:17
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.