Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant

• 59 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Hi, I am from the Lincoln / Gainsborough area bit further north than Boston etc , but Lincolnshire is a huge county! :D

Well you'll be able to join the Lincolnshire coven then and swop spells and suggestions for magic potion ingredients.  I hear crushed egg shells are very good.  You don't happen to have eglus do you?  

Better watch what I say or Joy will turn me into a toad again :(
HF
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00 »
You mean you're no longer a toad?  :ohmy: - I must remember to use a stronger spell next time  ;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 11:04 »
Someone is selling "Bluebelle" hatching eggs... poor unsuspecting buyers :(

I sent them a mail wonding if they knew Bluebelles are an f1 hybrid... I wonder what response (if any) I get lol!

It is ebay policy not to allow live stock sales on ebay inform them if you have already not done it.
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 11:05 »
as they are hatching eggs they are not classed as livestock  :)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15 »
Suppose it's the same argument that a foetus isn't really a child  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Hate those type of loopholes.

hillfooter

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26 »
I've bought eggs on ebay too and had mixed results.  I had 5 lots of 6 and from four I had 19 hatch which was excelent but one lot only two hatched which were supposed to be speckled Sussex for which I paid a reasonable sum.  One was nothing like a SS and the other wasn't a great specimen either.

Feedback is an excellent recommendation but with hatching eggs the majority of the feedback relates to delivery and really you need to know about hatch and how healthy the chicks are.  I wasn't happy with one of the batches I had which had hatched fine but I suspected that the birds were carriers of Leukosis, one I culled as having very positive symptoms.  The others although not showing symptoms I've never trusted to breed from.  Some diseases like leukosis don't show themselves until the birds mature.  Too late for feedback.  

Buying birds is never without its risks and I'm not saying to not use ebay as I know there are many genuine chicken breeders that use it and you should not be affraid to ask questions of the seller to do what you can.  However it is very open to abuse by those who see it as a way to get easy cash with little comeback particularly for poor hatch rates.
HF

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 11:28 »
Hi, I am new to the forum and the reason I was looking for chicken forums is to also have a rant about something I saw on ebay.   There is a poultry house for sale with two poor hybrid hens in - kept on pavement slabs, with what looks to be no food or any greens to peck at and a mad looking dog in the back ground staring them out!!  I just thought that this picture epitomises the "latest fad" and is all the worse because animals are involved.  I know not all poultry keepers have acres of pasture, but they can be kept on bark, straw etc, but they should also have greens hung up and a material on the run floor to scratch through dont you think?   Anyway - thanks for letting me have a rant!  I didn't know how to put the photo on, but there is an attachment at the bottom -  i think!

Hi and welcome not wishing to steer this of topic I have to suggest that some people are unfortunate like myself not to have much if any soil ground, but it doesn't make them bad people for wanting to keep chickens as long as they are well looked after why worry if it is flags or soil under their feet?  The coop looks like it has been well used which would suggest this person has kept chickens for some time so possibly not a fad as you put it. As for the dog I have a Jack Russell that looks at my ferrets that way but the ferrets know who is the boss  :D :D :D I am just asking that people don't judge people without knowing their circumstances. Anyway lets get back to the original topic.

Cheers Bill

hillfooter

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31 »
You mean you're no longer a toad?  :ohmy: - I must remember to use a stronger spell next time  ;)

fortunately I got better without having to kiss too many Princes.  A course of crushed egg shells with a swigg of Lifeguard helped though I do now have a strange compulsion to roost at night:D
HF
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 17:06 by hillfooter »

hillfooter

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 11:38 »
Hi, I am new to the forum and the reason I was looking for chicken forums is to also have a rant about something I saw on ebay.   There is a poultry house for sale with two poor hybrid hens in - kept on pavement slabs, with what looks to be no food or any greens to peck at and a mad looking dog in the back ground staring them out!!  I just thought that this picture epitomises the "latest fad" and is all the worse because animals are involved.  I know not all poultry keepers have acres of pasture, but they can be kept on bark, straw etc, but they should also have greens hung up and a material on the run floor to scratch through dont you think?   Anyway - thanks for letting me have a rant!  I didn't know how to put the photo on, but there is an attachment at the bottom -  i think!

Hi and welcome not wishing to steer this of topic I have to suggest that some people are unfortunate like myself not to have much if any soil ground, but it doesn't make them bad people for wanting to keep chickens as long as they are well looked after why worry if it is flags or soil under their feet?  The coop looks like it has been well used which would suggest this person has kept chickens for some time so possibly not a fad as you put it. As for the dog I have a Jack Russell that looks at my ferrets that way but the ferrets know who is the boss  :D :D :D I am just asking that people don't judge people without knowing their circumstances. Anyway lets get back to the original topic.

Cheers Bill

so how is the auction going Bill?

HF

Twinkie002

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 14:42 »
Wait whilst I compose myself!  I haven't laughed so much in a long time!  ... Quote "Hows the auction going Bill?".... :lol: :lol: :lol:  I agree with you about the ability to leave feedback on hatching eggs with the time limit given for such, and the time it takes for a disease to present itself in juvenile poultry - you are correct that ebay gives the opportunity for unscrupulous beings to sell anything they like matched up to an image of their choice!   Similar to a situation at our local poultry auction years ago it was found that someone was selling tray up on tray of all his "clear" eggs as "mated" eggs!!  Terrible.   Also I was not judging people who cannot keep their hens on green pasture - just that surely something, anything other than hard slabs to enable them to have a scratch through is better??   ??? Sorry no can do on the Eglu front - wouldn't bother personally, would look out of place next to our hand made hotch potch style sheds! :) 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 14:52 by Twinkie002 »

Twinkie002

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 14:54 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Hi, I am from the Lincoln / Gainsborough area bit further north than Boston etc , but Lincolnshire is a huge county! :D

Well you'll be able to join the Lincolnshire coven then and swop spells and suggestions for magic potion ingredients.  I hear crushed egg shells are very good.  You don't happen to have eglus do you?  

HF
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Well you'll be able to join the Lincolnshire coven then and swop spells and suggestions for magic potion ingredients.  I hear crushed egg shells are very good.  You don't happen to have eglus do you? 

HF

I would love to learn some new spells!!  Also can anyone tell my why my profile pic won't show?  (not to steer from topic of course), but I cannot find a technical help topic and I have been on the Help section.

hillfooter

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 15:38 »
Probably because it's too big.  If I remember right it has to be a certain max size.
HF

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 17:01 »

so how is the auction going Bill?

HF

Ouch that hurt but I've been offered 50p  :D :D :D :D :D

Twinkie002
Also I was not judging people who cannot keep their hens on green pasture - just that surely something, anything other than hard slabs to enable them to have a scratch through is better?? 

I agree with you to an extent on that for example the coop and run I had delivered is two runs long giving my chucks plenty of space and I will be looking to put some hey down on the area I'll be keeping ours. and when possible give them access to the plot area in my small garden.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 17:08 by billathome65 »

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 18:20 »
i was wanting to buy some eggs off ebay soon but am put off now! where else can you buy eggs from? i only know of places to buy birds? either as day old or POLs.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 18:26 »
I don't know much about poultry, but I do know that you need look no further than this site itself:

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/live-hatching-egg-suppliers.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
frustrated with ebay and buying hatching eggs try this

Started by shella on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 02:36
by AL Hathaway
xx
Another ebay rant

Started by Hayley'sHens on Chicken Chat

22 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 21:36
by Chookiechook
xx
My new hatching eggs have arrived

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 18:55
by dizzylizzie
xx
hatching eggs...no idea whats in them lol

Started by needssomehelp on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:59
by needssomehelp

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.