Poorly Goslings - growing up and moving out.

• 96 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Poorly Gosling.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 22:40 »
I think I'm becoming a bit obsessed with his weight! I'm going to give him a complex if I weigh him any more frequently.  ???

One of our neighbours popped round today and was having a look at him. She said "Oh, he'll have to be an Easter goose as he'll never be ready for Christmas." :ohmy:  :ohmy: :ohmy:
What a terrible thing to say in front of him, I'll never get him to eat if he thinks I'll eat him when he gets fat! I have of course explained the wonderful life he has ahead with lots of grass and girls and a pond.  :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 22:42 »
William is too young to understand what the nasty lady said.  I hope the sunshine did the trick and he starts to put on weight so he can enjoy being out on the grass.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 23:10 »
If he ever needs a home, I can give him one, all the grass he could want, couldnt say the same for the sunshine though, couldnt give him a wife either, but a fairly happy life
 :) :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 23:26 »
He's definitely got a home for life here. :D The plan was to be a breeding pair or trio but as these 3 are siblings or cousins I will try and get another gander later in the year for one of the girls and William can have his pick of the others. 

Not that I am looking forward to doing all this again!

pepsi100

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 23:34 »
He's definitely got a home for life here. :D The plan was to be a breeding pair or trio but as these 3 are siblings or cousins I will try and get another gander later in the year for one of the girls and William can have his pick of the others. 

Not that I am looking forward to doing all this again!

probably not, but I bet this is Williams claim to fame, I bet he dont get as much attention when his is bigger and older (unless its from the ladies but he will live off these threads for years) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 23:59 »
Absolutly! :D

That being said Brecon Buffs are very handsome geese but there is nothing like a near death experience in my house for avoiding the pot! My old drake Patrick was due to head for the pot but after spending about a fortnight nursing him over a fox attack and it was clear he was going to be with us for life!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38 »
He's still hanging in there isn't he  :)  Hope he does start to put on some weight soon as he will have really turned the corner then.  After all the nursing he has had, he's going to be a mummy's boy for life I think  ;)  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 09:56 »
he's going to be a mummy's boy for life I think  ;)  :)

I certainly think so! I had thought that the trauma of having antibiotics and force feeding him would have put him off me but it seems imprinting really works! He still is the one who come up to the side of the run first and peeps at me till I pick him up. We are both enjoying it more now that is not followed by the force feeding!

This mornings momentous news is that for the first time he has put on weight overnight rather than losing it!!! Wish there was a dancing for joy emoticon!

pepsi100

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 10:02 »
that is great news

Just an aside, this has been a great post, worries, and then updates, now good news

Have to be one of the best threads I have folowed

Thanks for keeping it all updated :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 23:25 »
I think you're doing a fabulous job.
I can empathise about the stressing over a baby though - I'm a surrogate mum to 4 23day old kittens - luckily Momma Cat is still feeding them but I'm feeding her!!

Keep doing what you're doing and William will be a great little gander and not for easter or Christmas ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 08:12 »
Wish there was a dancing for joy emoticon!

You can share mine Kate  :)

Yay!  William is putting on weight  :D 

pepsi100

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 13:20 »

That is funny

Why cant a gander enjoy Christmas and Easter ?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 13:32 »

That is funny

Why cant a gander enjoy Christmas and Easter ?

He hopefully can as he won't be on the dinner table.   ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 13:46 »
He probably be on the table, the chairs, on the floor and generally causing havoc, as a gander can  :) :) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 17:51 »

Yay!  William is putting on weight  :D

LOVE IT!

Well we have passed another milestone in that he has now not only regained all the weight he had lost but has put more on so officially on the mend! 175g!

The other 2 are also doing OK. Not 100%, still puffing a bit but better than they were. Vet said complete a week at least having initially said 5 days and then reassess. Said he thought I should have enough antibiotics as he had given me a bit extra and had to tell him that I had just run out as they had doubled their weight in the last 4 day so I had had to incrementally increase their dose as by weight!

They all look pretty good considering the vet is surprised that they aren't all dead! Pretty miserable weather here so they have just had a bit of a run round the kitchen and utility room. I love the way they run round. When they build up a bit of speed they stick out their stumpy little wings and always remind me of kids running round pretending they are aeroplanes! And yes, they might end up in the kitchen at easter or Christmas but they're never going to be eaten. :D

xx
Egg moving

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 16:57
by Tigerwren
xx
Moving ducks

Started by knoxxie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:20
by orchardlady
xx
Egg moving update

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 16:02
by ANHBUC
xx
the hens are moving in

Started by vegypete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 12:31
by nerdle

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 37 queries.