Soil help for newbie

• 2 Replies

treecol

Soil help for newbie
« on: July 16, 2014, 21:26 »
Hi, we've finally got a 1/3 acre to start growing fruit & veg & keep a few chickens. The soil is black sand which a neighbour tells me she tested - it's 4.2 so acidic. I'm a complete novice & know nothing about how to grow, what to grow & if I need to add anything to the soil to grow root veg which I understand don't like acid soil. I've got some strawberry's doing ok, tomatoes directly in the soil in the greenhouse with cucumbers & peppers - all doing well.
What if anything do I need to add to this soil to enable me to grow a broad range of fruit & veg? I plan to get things ready over the autumn/winter to begin growing as soon as the soil is ready. Any help would be most welcome. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Soil help for newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 22:01 »
4.2 is incredibly acidic and I'm surprised that much is growing there at all!

Before you assume this reading to be correct, I'd suggest getting yourself one of those test tube kits and doing a number of tests around the area to be sure.

If it remains lower than 7, then lime is the stuff you need to make the pH more balanced.  I think there may be an article about this on the main website (Allotment Garden - see top banner).

Things like blueberries will like the acidity.  Spuds aren't keen on too much alkaline - causes scab (still edible but unsightly).  Brassicas will need alkaline soil so bear that in mind.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

treecol

Re: Soil help for newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 22:18 »
Thank you, I've just ordered at kit, then I'll know for sure. Strangely my rhubarb has failed, which I understand likes acid soil. I'll see how the test goes & I'm sure I'll be back for more help  :)

xx
newbie with soil issues

Started by johnny5 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 18:01
by johnny5
cheesy
Newbie with a clay soil allotment -help!

Started by LadyGreens on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 02:11
by Kristen
xx
Newbie needing soil advice

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:05
by peapod
xx
Newbie question. How fine should my soil be before planting?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 09:02
by yorkiegal

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 38 queries.