hatching eggs

• 2 Replies

hebridean

hatching eggs
« on: January 09, 2011, 22:54 »
My mother's had chickens for as long as i can remember and every now and again we have chick's. The problem is we always end up with more cockerels than chickens from the eggs. This is a stupid question bet I'm seeing on web sites eggs for sale for incubation. But I'm guessing if I buy some of the I'll have the same problem? you cant tell if an egg is a hen or a cock? rite? cos some pages say 6 chickens for sale (referring to the eggs)
Kenny

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 22:57 »
yes the problem will be the same, if you get less than 50% cockerels then you are lucky. The only way to avoid this is to buy point of lay hens and not hatch eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: hatching eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:02 »
My mother's had chickens for as long as i can remember and every now and again we have chick's. The problem is we always end up with more cockerels than chickens from the eggs. This is a stupid question bet I'm seeing on web sites eggs for sale for incubation. But I'm guessing if I buy some of the I'll have the same problem? you cant tell if an egg is a hen or a cock? rite? cos some pages say 6 chickens for sale (referring to the eggs)

Chicken is just a generic term and means a young domestic fowl, and it can be male or female.  Pullet is the term for a young female fowl, and cockerel is a young male fowl. 

Some chicks are bred to be distinguishable at hatching, so you could buy day old pullets, others take longer to show the characteristics but if you are hatching eggs then expect half and half at best, and for some reason if there is an imbalance it tends to be more male chicks. 

Some peopleselling eggs will take the males back, but of course would not expect to buy them back from you.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

xx
Hatching eggs

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 18:28
by joyfull
xx
hatching eggs

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:49
by JaK
xx
Eggs hatching?

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 12:47
by ANHBUC
xx
Where to buy eggs for hatching from ?

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 23:39
by muntjac

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 34 queries.