keeping quail

• 4 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
keeping quail
« on: January 09, 2011, 15:27 »
hi, i am going to keep my trio of seramas in an outside run approx 8ft by 6ft, and was wondering if i could keep my quail on the ground of the run.the run is covered, the chicken have a house in the run andi would make something for the quail    any thoughts if this is possible.

bantam novice

Re: keeping quail
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 15:53 »
Hello Animalmad,
I would say that you need to keep the quails and the chickens separate but if you are going to partion the run I don't see why it shouldn't work.  Someone with more experience will be along shortly to give you more advice.  Good Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 16:31 »
We have 6 Quail and 3 Chickens, the chickens free range whilst the Quail live in their own run.
However the chickens are VERY interested in the Quail. and i'm sure if they could get to them they would have a peck.
Having said that the Quail are extremely fast, so would probably get out of their way, but they do get scared easily, and fly into walls & anything in their wy, this resulted in one of mine cutting her head open on the wire of the run.
Also if a Quail can escape they will, I had one of mine escape and spent two hours trying to catch her again, so you need to make sure they can't get out of anywhere, and make sure and gaps in the run aren't big enough for the Quail to fit though.
=)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 23:51 »
I have a run of around 20 serama and I decided to put two very aggressive male quail in there to see how they would fare..... I had nowhere else tpo put them so it was that or the chop!!

the serama were terrified of them for all of 1 day and then went hell for leather to peck them to pieces :(

So in a word..... NO they will not mix :(

But they could live in a smaller run within the run or even a spacious rabbit hutch would be fine for them :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:30 »
I have quail and when I was researching their care prior to keeping them the overriding advice was to keep them separately because the chickens can and do kill them. Some people seem to have success keeping them together but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Do have a go though they are easy to keep. Everybody loves them because they are so cute. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
not sure about keeping quail now!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 10:00
by ginaclements
xx
Help with Quail keeping and ID

Started by norfolkchucks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:05
by FCG
xx
keeping quail and chickens together!

Started by Sopho on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 18:58
by Sopho
xx
Advice on keeping quail please

Started by judi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 11:49
by Sassy

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 36 queries.