Cardboard

• 7 Replies

woodburner

Cardboard
« on: May 11, 2008, 22:55 »
I can't get enough :D Any suggestions? Our local tip takes a very dim view of totting. The delivery areas back of the shopping precinct has loads but all bundled up ready for collection for recycling by a different method.

In case you're wondering why this is in 'grow your own', I use it for mulching (mainly).

If any mod feels it would be better suited to a different forum, I don't mind if it's moved :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

cozzcov

Cardboard
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 23:04 »
What sort of cardboard? Thin like cereal boxes or corregated?  Do you shread it first then apply it? Sounds a great way to recycle at home.

I work in an office and our stationery is delivered in corregated boxes so I could get my supply like that, maybe you should contact some small local businesses? Especially if they normally have to pay to recycle it, you could offer a free service?

woodburner

Cardboard
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:17 »
Corrugated, the bigger the better. The shops delivery areas was my attempt at cadging off local businesses. Maybe I'd have better luck with offices  :o  :wink:

compostqueen

Cardboard
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:44 »
the electrical retailer usually has big pieces from all those white goods.  Business parks too are good sources of lotty stuff  :D I use it for paths and temporary paths to save my soil from a hammering if I need to walk on it etc.  If you get those veggie boxes from the supermarket you can actually grow saladings in those as they're very strong.  I saw a chap at our Tesco pile up a trolley with a huge stack of them the other day  :D

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Cardboard
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:47 »
Ask any garage/shop for their one of their bundles.  Here they are happy to give them away.  Any tape & plastic covered card goes to the bin - rest goes down - a couple of layers thick, then covered in old horse manure.... :) & I plant into that.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

compostqueen

Cardboard
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52 »
or on top in the case of spuds  :D

woodburner

Cardboard
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07 »
Thanks for the suggestions. :) I hadn't thought of the industrial estate for cardboard only pallets ;)

compostqueen

Cardboard
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11 »
they usually have good bits of timber too, from packaging etc, it's usually long, thinnish rails of planed stuff.  Sawdust, that kinda thing  :D

xx
cardboard and more cardboard

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 20:13
by Madame Cholet
question
Cardboard uses??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 18:24
by sunshineband
xx
Cardboard and spuds

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 19:48
by Ema
xx
Plastic or cardboard?

Started by Andycorker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 12:10
by bazh

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.