Died milk

• 10 Replies

chrissie B

Died milk
« on: June 12, 2020, 13:44 »
My hunt for bread flour brought me to sainsburys where I found some and while there thought I would get some dried milk for bread normally paying 1.30,1.60 per tin nearly collapsed  to find it was 4.00 for the same tin needless to say I was expecting a price hike but that's ridiculous.
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
Re: Died milk
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 16:52 »
Was the £4 for Marvel? If so, that seems about normal nowadays. Tesco do their own and so do Asda. I got a couple of 340 g  tins from Asda about February and it was £1.80 I think (now seems to be £1.98).
Val
Recipes Galore!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 18:48 »
Yes, I got Marvel just before lockdown and paid £3 odd for it (only 278g in the tin)  Trashco now charge £4, but their own brand, now they have it back in stock, is £2 for 340g - I had some delivered on Tuesday :)

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 10:52 »
There do seem to be some fairly hefty price rises going on.
I noticed that Trashco (I like that!) are selling their flour in 1 kg bags, it used to be 1.5kg so that's a huge price hike...I think...I may be mistaken.
I did buy some Polish plain flour which was about 30% cheaper, I've yet to use any. It's sold as light and fluffy for cakes, but it is just plain flour with no raising agent.
There is a large amount of wallet rape going on.  :mad:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 11:24 »
Can you use dried milk in cakes as well as bread.   I never have milk in, so when I think I'll make.... I never have milk, then cannot be bothered.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:39 »
Can you use dried milk in cakes as well as bread.   I never have milk in, so when I think I'll make.... I never have milk, then cannot be bothered.   Mrs Bouquet
Yes you can, some say with better results  :)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 22:29 »
Remember that "dried milk" is almost always skimmed milk powder so it will reconstitute to skimmed milk. If the recipe relies on the milk for any fat content, it will be missing.

I picked up some skimmed milk powder from Amazon at about £6.50 for 500g because I needed it to add to a custard for ice cream and extra milk protein in homemade yoghurt.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:29 »
I will just use ordinary milk till I find some own brand I just thought it was abit excessive.
Chrissie b

jezza

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50 »
Hello I got morrisons own brand dried skimmed milk  for £1.85 /300g  jezza

jezza

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 10:57 »
Hello Blackpool Rocket I see you got polish flour check to see if it's a blend of flour as some has soya flour in it  I recently had some biscuits made by a customer who used polish flour that her cleaning lady got her  I was violently I'll with stomach ache 20 minutes later that flour had ground peanuts  in it   jezza

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 12:21 »
Hello Blackpool Rocket I see you got polish flour check to see if it's a blend of flour as some has soya flour in it  I recently had some biscuits made by a customer who used polish flour that her cleaning lady got her  I was violently I'll with stomach ache 20 minutes later that flour had ground peanuts  in it   jezza
Thanks jezza, I checked it before I bought it. It is 100% wheat flour, that's why I thought I'd give it a go.

xx
Lidl's milk frother

Started by ghost61 on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 19:39
by pigguns
xx
Sterilizing milk bottles?

Started by DanielCoffey on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2018, 17:39
by snowdrops
xx
Milk bottles in the summer?

Started by DanielCoffey on Kitchen Natter

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 15:31
by wighty

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 50 queries.