fixing my greenhouse

• 18 Replies

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
fixing my greenhouse
« on: February 13, 2012, 19:43 »
hi
i have just got a glass greenhouse from ebay it has a base but i can't see how you fix the frame to the base
when i collected it i had to take it to bits first and i noticed that the frame was just sitting on the base is that how it meant to be?
the base will be sitting on paving slabs
also should i fix the base to the paving slabs or just weigh the base down    :wacko:
hope someone can help
thanks

ex-cavator

Re: fixing my greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 20:24 »
If it's a metal frame base then you can get clips that you put the bottom frame bolts through & when you tighten them they clamp the greenhouse frame to the base. If you use a timber base as I have then you can screw the greenhouse base down to the timber frame - mine was pre-drilled in order to do so, but you could drill it yourself otherwise - you only need a couple of screws either side as it's only to stop it moving.
Are you using glass or polycarbonate? If glass, it'll be heavy enough once you've glazed it that you won't need to secure it to the slabs - in fact I doubt you'd need to do this even with poly, unless you're in a very exposed location.
Although, I'm not sure how you'd fix it to slabs anyway  ???

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 20:42 »
thanks  :)
it is a glass and aluminium greenhouse
there are no bolt holes in the base so thinking of drilling some and bolting the frame to the base
will have to look at the bottom of the frame tomorrow
if there are meant to be clips to hold the frame to the base do you know were i can get some
i would love for the GH to be up by this week end  8)
 :wacko: :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 22:13 »
Can you bolt the base down to the slabs and then screw frame to base (self tapping screws?)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04 »
I had to build a base of a few courses of bricks because the concrete hard standing was not level, and I wanted a bit of extra height anyway. I screwed it down with frame fixing screws by drilling straight through frame and bricks.

I didn't bother with the optional base I could have bought with it because I couldn't really work out what it actually did - does it add extra height and if so it is enough to be ideal for you? (now is obviously the time to be thinking about that!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 16:54 »
Are you using glass or polycarbonate? If glass, it'll be heavy enough once you've glazed it that you won't need to secure it to the slabs -

Sorry to disagree but the bloke on the next plot didn't fix his to the slabs he'd sat it on and it was blown over in the first gale. He lost all the glass as well as bending the frame.
All you have to do drill and plug the frame to each slab twice. 1 1/2in screws will do.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 19:59 »
An aluminium greenhouse is extremely light in comaprison with its surface area. Any strong gusts of wind are guaranteed to, at the very least, move it and as stated above, its likely to blow glass out or blow it over and buckle it.
 When i put up our old alu greenhouse i put the greenhouse into position and drilled the holes through the base to mark the slabs/blocks underneath. i then got the frame out of the way and drilled the holes into the slabs. I then put the greenhouse back in position and used a mastic gun to fill the hole with an epoxy resin suitable for concrete. You then add a nut to your bolt all the way to the head and tap the bolt three quarters into the hole. Leave it a day then go back and tighten the extra nut that you added to the bolt right down to your base. Sounds long winded but its really not and i guarantee your greenhouse will NEVER move.

Totty

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 21:31 »
greenhouse is up and all the glass is in  :D
did not fix it to slabs in the end as ask the other plot holders and there's were not fixed down they been up for years
hope it will be ok  :mellow:

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 22:04 »
I used 2 lengths of dexion  about 18 inches long, hammered it in the ground out side of GH and bolted it to the frame, just to be on the safe side.
Dexion is angal iron with holes in the lenght, used for warehouse shelving up-rights.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28 »
I've just used a calculator on the Cornell Univeristy website to get an idea of the force exerted by the wind on a flat surface (call me a saddo if you like but once a question gets implanted in my head I just have to try to find the answer!)  :tongue2:

There are all sorts of assumptions involved, but if a 60mph gust of wind hits the long side of an 8X6 greenhouse at right angles the total force exerted will be about 329 lbs.

The weight of an 8X6 greenhouse with 3mm glass is approximately 350 lbs.

A bit too close for comfort I'd say to risk not screwing or otherwise fixing it down!

Polycarbonate greenhouses are of course much lighter than glass ones...........

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22 »
anything building i put outside gets bolted to the floor...or even bolted to a piece of aluminium/timber...then the timber is secured with concrete.

i can then sleep happy on windy nights.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 16:09 »
Hi like diggingk,
I would again advise you to fix it down.

If the people who have told you, you don't need to fix it down are right, it has cost you a couple of hours work and a couple of pounds in materials, which ever way you do it.

If they are wrong and it does get blown over it will cost at least about £200 for new glass.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 19:06 »

If they are wrong and it does get blown over it will cost at least about £200 for new glass.

thats if it can be replaced..timber breaks and aluminium bends

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 21:02 »
will try and talk huddy round hopeful he can find a way without taking the GH to bits again he does not think the slabs can be drill into they will just brake will work around it
he's don so much so fare even though he said he was not interested in the allotment  :D

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 15:12 »
will try and talk huddy round hopeful he can find a way without taking the GH to bits again he does not think the slabs can be drill into they will just brake will work around it
he's don so much so fare even though he said he was not interested in the allotment  :D

Slabs can be drilled - just use the correct gear (drill bits etc). I would strongly advise you to secure it. It might not blow away but wind can easily brow the greenhouse out of square - if it doesn't blow over then as a minimum, you will get some broken glass.

xx
Fixing a greenhouse to bricks....

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 09:55
by JayG
xx
Fixing a driveway

Started by Poolfield2 on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 22:10
by FCG
xx
Fixing fence posts

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2018, 19:11
by grinling
xx
Old Greenhouse

Started by Fluff on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:09
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.