Fixing a driveway

• 11 Replies

Poolfield2

Fixing a driveway
« on: January 18, 2010, 14:29 »
Actually driveway is not accurate, it is a farm track.  We live up a 330m farm track which falls 20m over its length, it is a shared access and it is an absolute pain.

The farmer has built diaganol "humps" which he says are to stop the water running staright down the drive and taking all the stone with it. Behind and sometimes infront of these we get huge potholes and the recent snow has made the drive very difficult to negotiate in my car. I could save up for a 4x4 but would rather work out how to maintain the drive. Any thoughts?

As an emergency measure we are ordering stone to go in the worst holes, should it be sub base 1 or 2? Does anyone one know the particle sizes for these two, I can't find it on the internet.

noshed

Re: Fixing a driveway
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 15:18 »
People sent some useful information on here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16812.0
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Poolfield2

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 22:50 »
Thanks for the link Noshed, seeing Leaf again has made me all hot and flustered ::)

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 23:26 »
i would say use, m.o.t type 1 this is a hardcore that will pack in tight rather than just rubble , it has a mixture of stone and dust and is used as a topcoat hardcore that will nit together , bearing in mind it will still wash out eventualy
would you be better using a lean mix of concrete
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

tode

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 00:57 »
Hi, Poolfield.

You've got a real problem !

When you say it's a "shared " track, what do you share it with?  Not tractors, I hope.

I would advise not to use concrete, as that could make matters worse. I'm not sure what the standard dimensions are in UK, but you should try to find a crushed stone of about 0/20 or  0/30 mm , with plenty of fines to ensure bonding.

The only really definitive solution is to install transversal drains instead of the "humps", but unless you can afford to macadam the track, they would be difficult to keep in place.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18 »
type 1 and granite dust topping is quite good dont go to thick with the granite dust topping tho then whacker plate it all down with a sprinkling or water over the top.
Thanks
Kris

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:26 »
Thanks all. It is a converted farm that I live on and we are 4 households with 8 cars and yes a few tractors and as we are still renovating our house, a regular flow of heavy lorries.

The drive does get a hammering :lol:

A bossy neighbour has intervened and decided what we need is "scalpings" as an emergency fix and that we need to concrete or tarmac when the weather is better.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11 »
I think your bossy neighbour is probably right, if you fill patches the water will wash out the soft material either side of it. Any temporary fill needs to be large pieces, hardcore then scalpings.

tode

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37 »
The fact that there are four houses is good news: at least when you get round to repairing the track it'll allow you to spread the cost (if everyone is willing ! ).
In general, it's the tractors that cause the most damage: would it be possible for them to use a different route (through fields ?)

Who does the track belong to?  I presume that it's public: could the local council finance some of the work?

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:54 »
The fact that there are four houses is good news: at least when you get round to repairing the track it'll allow you to spread the cost (if everyone is willing ! ).
In general, it's the tractors that cause the most damage: would it be possible for them to use a different route (through fields ?)

Who does the track belong to?  I presume that it's public: could the local council finance some of the work?

Sounds like most of the damage is done by water and gravity if the ground drops 1mtr in 16.5 mtr.

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 17:26 »
It is water that does a lot of damage and heavy lorries really don't help especially today when it was soft and then snow then lorry full of 11 tons of scaplings.

FCG

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 22:10 »
Heyo, you want type 1. Highways & Drainage engineer here if you need any further advice on it.

I'd advise you to apply to the council to ask them to do it right away. Slush funds for fixing highways are out at the moment fixing the damages (potholes etc) left by the extremely cold weather. Try finding out f it is 'adopted' by the council first though. If it isn't the council's adopted road unfortunately won't do anything about it. However if it is not adopted and you can find out who the landowner is you should be able to get them to either do it or apply to the council for funds.

If you find that is adopted by the council then they have a specific right to keep it to a good standard.

Are you in the middle of the ex farmland? Seeing as the farmer has built the drainage channels it's probably still owned by him.

Failing everything get onto the local paper sharpish and complain that the council is doing nothing for your plight :D Works a treat, complaining to the local rag paper.

xx
fixing my greenhouse

Started by like diggingk on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 10:00
by Dantheman
xx
Fixing fence posts

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 19, 2018, 19:11
by grinling
xx
Fixing a greenhouse to bricks....

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 09:55
by JayG

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.