Hows ur baskets/tubs doing?

• 14 Replies

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« on: May 12, 2006, 20:21 »
Well ive made 63 Hanging Baskets (will post sum pics when they come into flower) and 44 Tubs ranging in all sizes :) Plus greenhouse still looks like a nursery and ive grown all my plants from seed :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 20:58 »
Thats very impressive ! I am very sad to say that I grew about 40 marigolds from seed with the idea to plant them down the allotment round the carrot beds etc. They were doing wonderfully well until last night - I got up this morning to see stumps in all the post and not a marigold in sight! I must have some very fat and well fed slugs after that :cry:

Historically I have not been very good at my hanging baskets, they always start of looking fine with a promise of great things but half way through the summer they look awful. This year I have added some of that jell stuff that holds the moisture in better so I am hoping to do better this year. I have planted eight baskets and four wall mounted baskets and I have lots of pots of stuff in the garden.

Will take some pictures later in the season when they start to look good ( ever hopeful).

I'd love to see photos of your hanging baskets - why do you need so many? DO you sell them?
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 21:40 »
I can't seem to concentrate on veg AND hanging baskets!!!  I had some lovely ones when we lived in Essex, but then I didn't grow any veg, but I have so far planted up 5 baskets half full (waiting for other things to grow a bit more, and tonight I planted one of the 2 hay racks I have on the back wall, and although I watered it well to make sure, we now have a lovely storm and plenty of free water coming down from the sky!!!

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 21:44 »
I can't get my head around growing flowers yet either.  I've grown some sweet peas from seed (well, I had to really!) and I'll plant those out in tubs later this month, but I'm afraid that's it on the non-edible plants front :)

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 21:14 »
no dont sell them, ive given half to work (my job is a gardener/handyman) and the other half our out in my garden :) i always use the water crystal things and slow release fertlizer always works a treat :) will take some photos monday and then l8r in the season so u can all see them :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 22:29 »
Looking forward to seeing your pics Phoenix.  I love a well planted hanging basket!

Although I'll only have 9 hanging baskets, several pots and 2 hayracks on the back wall, at least I'll know that they are all mine, as like you, I've grown them all from seed, and several from seed I collected myself!

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 22:31 »
Ye most of my seeds r from last yrs plants :) Makes it even better when u know that basket/tub has cost u nothing (apart from the compost - unless u do ur own i havent tried that yet)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 22:41 »
No, I haven't tried doing my own compost yet.  You said that you use the water crystals.  Can you re-use that compost again next year, or do you have to buy more water crystals each year?

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 06:19 »
I buy new as i put fuchsias in the basket and there roots just mass in there but if use just annuals i would have thought u could reuse it... i wouldnt tho all the nutrients have gone :(

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 09:11 »
How do you save seeds from your flower plants? I know thats a Big question but I would love to know how to save seeds from all sorts of things?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:33 »
grannieannie - the water retaining crystals biodegrade into the compost so you need to add more each year. I use them in my container veg gardening. Since I know we will have a bad drought summer, I've been making sure I add a scoopful of crystals to the bottom 3/4s of the pot (like the packet suggests) to everything I've been potting up. You can reuse the compost but it won't have the jelly-like water retaining stuff in it anymore.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 11:53 »
thanks for the advice Phoenix and Heather!!

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 17:57 »
my tubs are looking great, the trailing geraniums  are doing really well, but they are in a sunny spot on my patio.  While back in the UK I grew geraniums from seed, they are now in the safe keeping of my neighbour and the plants are now in their 5th year!  They have never been covered and were in a corner at the front of the house, west facing at my house and east facing when they moved home to neighbour.  The tub had well over 100 flowers the day I left them with the neighbour.  Not bad for 1 packet of seed :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 22:16 »
Its great that your UK geraniums are doing so well, shame about the rest of the stuff you left in your garden eh???  Still, wait until you get your new Spanish garden to play in!!!

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 06:50 »
Quote from: "lentil987"
How do you save seeds from your flower plants? I know thats a Big question but I would love to know how to save seeds from all sorts of things?

Towards the end of the season, dont pinch the dying flowers let them go to seed, and then once they r ready (they  just look ready dont know exact time lol) collect them and store them in a dry place... (i did this with lobelia last yr... never again lol)

xx
What goes in tubs after daffs?

Started by Yana on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 16:29
by Yana
xx
flower tubs

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:38
by Yorkie
xx
dahlias in tubs

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 19:44
by Yorkie
xx
Plants for Tubs

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2019, 19:11
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 35 queries.