Mock Orange

• 2 Replies

pepsi100

Mock Orange
« on: February 05, 2019, 14:21 »
While I was in Australia, there was a really nice smell in the air in the evenings
It turned out to be a weed, called mock orange
It maybe a weed out there, but the smell is fantastic
It is very much like a Jasmine plant, (mine has got out of control now, its like a triffid taking over all the garden fence)
Anyway I bought a couple of these plants over, I have em in pots (I don't want them to spread any diseases or take over the UK)
Does anyone else have any of them ?
I found out I could have got them over here :mad:
What care do they need, mine are just twigs at the moment
I will be putting them in planters when they are big enough (don't really have the room for big bushy plants like the ones I saw)
Anyway, my cabbages are still thriving, but not getting any bigger yet (they went in the ground before I left for Oz (the weather hasn't been kind to them)

Anyway if anyone has any advice about a Mock Orange and how to prune a Jasmine, it would be appreciated

It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Mock Orange
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:20 »
Hi Pepsi - welcome back  :)

Mock Orange or Philadelphus are pretty easy to look after.  They could stay in pots whilst you get them past the twig stage, but grow into pretty large deciduous shrubs in the garden.  They do get very woody and thicket like if left untended, so need regular pruning.  You do this after flowering.

It is the same with Summer Jasmine.  If you prune now, you will lose the early flower flush, but it grows pretty fast and you should get a later flush of flowers on new growths from this year.

Jasmine is a thug and can be hacked at.  Philadelphus just needs a gentle prune  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mock Orange
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:39 »
Last year, I dug out my Jasmin climber, that grew a lot but rarely flowered  ::)
I bought a mock orange, Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile to plant in its place - it's currently in a tub waiting for better planting weather, but that's not the same plant that's called mock orange in Australia. Their version is https://plantsale.com.au/shop/product/murraya-paniculata/

xx
mock orange

Started by rainie on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:48
by Johndeb
xx
Hops and orange pompoms

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 18:06
by viettaclark
xx
orange dots on rose leaves

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 19:22
by DavidT

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.