What goes in tubs after daffs?

• 2 Replies

Yana

What goes in tubs after daffs?
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:03 »
I went a bit mad and filled 9 large tubs with daffs, hyacinths and tulips last October and now the daffs have finished, the hyacinths are about to have their flowers cut off and the tulips are starting to flower.  I used these tubs last year for outdoor tomatoes, but want to continue to use them for bulbs/summer display of flowers as I am trying to grow flowers  as well as veggies.
I know that I have to wait for the leaves to die away on all the bulbs, but what can I use them for for summer colour flower wise? Or do I leave the tubs in the garden somewhere and then bring them in to the greenhouse over the winter to start the bulbs off again?
Any advice gratefully received.  :)
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Goosegirl

Re: What goes in tubs after daffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:42 »
It might be best to have two lots of tubs for your bulbs - one for spring and one for summer. The spring bulbs will gradually increase in number over time and won't leave a lot of room so, if you're not planning to take them out each year, I'd give the leaves a little dilute liquid feed before they die down to give the bulbs a boost for next year and put the tubs in the garden. Do the same to the summer ones after flowering as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yana

Re: What goes in tubs after daffs?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 16:29 »
It might be best to have two lots of tubs for your bulbs - one for spring and one for summer. The spring bulbs will gradually increase in number over time and won't leave a lot of room so, if you're not planning to take them out each year, I'd give the leaves a little dilute liquid feed before they die down to give the bulbs a boost for next year and put the tubs in the garden. Do the same to the summer ones after flowering as well.
Whoopie ..... An excellent reason to buy more tubs!!
Thanks I'll keep the spring and summer bulbs separate I think

xx
Daffs

Started by scabs on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 12:12
by birmancats
xx
apart from daffs

Started by Little Miss Muffet on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 12:15
by gobs
xx
Daffs

Started by tosca100 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 11:41
by tosca100
xx
Daffs out!

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 15:47
by muddywellies

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 34 queries.